Chapter 244

The sky was once again dark when the group exited the tree. And the sudden chill sent memories of Point Frost flying through the group's heads.

       About half a foot of pure, pale snow blanketed the ground, as well as the bare outlines of trees. Winter had clearly taken its hold upon the Northern Woods.

       "O-Okay, Cedric, where do we go now?" Zerai asked, taking out his scarf and wrapping it around his neck.

       "Whenever winter came, we always travelled South. When the sun rises, me and Ella could probably navigate us through." Cedric explained. He held his palm out, and a small flame came to life above it.

       As he walked ahead, the group tried to stay close to him, and close to the flame.

       The orange firelight danced and scattered across the snow. The once present smells of sap and wood were subdued. Any decaying leaves had been completely buried within the snow.

       As the sun rose, Ella found it easy to find which direction they were going in, and Cedric was able to find the best paths through the winding roots and blanketed snow.

       Despite the somewhat difficult travel conditions, Cedric easily guided the group through. Eventually, Ara' Sei simply flew with the group as they hiked through the snow.

       By the end of the day, the group had travelled far within the forest.

       "Is there a quicker means of travelling?" Brie asked.

       "I can turn us all into eagles tomorrow. That should help us travel quicker." Cedric said.

       "Okay, do you think we'll get to wherever Varhine is by tomorrow?" Zerai asked.

       "Once we go back and fourth to get Roya tomorrow, yes. I think I made a mistake travelling to Sanctuary Grove. Tomorrow, I'll get us barely a few miles from Erathir. Honestly, that's probably closer to where her and the others are by now." Cedric explained.

       And so, the group slept, preparing for the coming day. Cedric was able to build a large fire, and set it alight with magic.

       The next day, the group ate magical berries with water, which immediately became icy cold. Then, through a nearby tree, they emerged in Oarshear, and treasured the warmth that they were able to get.

       A massive congregation of dozens of wagons and hundreds of tents lay outside the city walls.

       The group travelled in, finding Roya relatively soon. People were constantly walking up to them, many civilians had tears in their eyes. Roya had dark circles under theirs. Their eyes caught Aiyoshar's and they held up their hand towards the group.

       "Let me make a few final preparations." Roya said. They walked up to a group of church guards bearing armor, and another figure wearing white robes. For a few minutes they talked and discussed.

       The whole time, Eris looked at the town itself, and glanced occasionally at the fields of grassland surrounding it.

       Then, Roya walked up to the group, standing as tall as they could manage.

       "Okay, I'm ready." Roya said. Cedric fed them a few of the spare magical berries from breakfast.

       Then, the group went to the tree outside the city. Cedric performed the spell to open the doorway, and the group walked through.

       They emerged in a similar forest to the one before, but the trees were spaced apart more, and the blanketing of snow wasn't as thick. It was noticeably less cold than the forest up North.

       Faintly, the group could hear the clanging of metal and distant shouting. It then became clear just how close to Erathir the group was.

       "Now, let's go find Varhine." Cedric said.