Jimin ♡ Android AU

Word count: 4,290

"J1312?" You called.
The android stared forward, unblinking and unmoving.
You let out a sigh, going in to do a few more adjustments before trying again.
"J1312?"
No response.
Again, you went in, messing with wires and making a few changes before giving it another try.
"J1312? Can you hear me?"
He blinked.
"Can you hear me?" You repeated.
He nodded his head.
You let out a mix between a sigh of relief and a huff, a slight smile pulling at the corners of your mouth. This was a breakthrough.
J1312 is an android you've been assembling and working on for years now. To your knowledge, J1312 is the most realistic android, if not the only one in existence. He looks exactly like a human being, he even feels like one.

You wrote something down in your notebook beside the date.
"Can you speak?" You asked.
"Yes." He answered, his voice coming out smooth and melodic.
You then reached out, tracing your finger down the side of his face.
"Can you feel this?"
"Yes." He answered.
"Good, good." You murmured with a nod, retracting your hand.
Jotting down a few more things, you proceeded to step aside.
"Can you stand up?"
J1312 got off the table he was sitting on and stood upright.
"Okay. Hold your right hand up." You told him, demonstrating the action.
He copied. You lifted your other hand. He copied.
"Alright. Walk for me."
He moved forward, walking a few feet before stopping.
A brilliant and beaming smile broke out onto your features as you let out a squeak of excitement.
"I've done it!" You exclaimed, holding your arms up in victory.
"You seem..." The android tilted his head, analyzing you for a moment. "Overjoyed."
"I am. I've just created you, the most realistic android in existence. This is incredible." You smiled, cupping his cheeks.
"Creator, I have a question."
"Yes?"
"What is my name?" He asked you.
"Well, I call you J1312, but that's not a very fitting name." You pressed your lips together in thought. "How about Jimin?"
"Jimin." He repeated.
"Do you like that name?"
"Yes."
"Alright, then. Jimin it is."
"What is your name, creator?"
"Y/n."
"Y/n. Is it okay if I call you that?"
"Sure."

You went to jot down a few more notes before glancing at your creation.
"J13–sorry, Jimin. I have a few more questions to ask. Is that okay with you?"
"Whatever you wish, Y/n."
"Very well." You walked over to your marker board and wrote down a sentence.
"Can you read this for me?"
"I am going to the grocery store tomorrow." He read aloud.
"Good. Do you know what it means?"
"It means I am going to the grocery store tomorrow."
"Do you know what a grocery store is?"
"A place to buy food and ingredients for meals."
"You have reading comprehension. That's wonderful." You grinned, writing something down on the many pieces of paper clipped to your clipboard.

After testing a few more of Jimin's functions you were able to conclude that he was complete and your project was a success. You contacted a board of robotic technicians and engineers, notifying them of your huge accomplishment. They wanted to meet with you immediately and set up a meeting the following Monday at 9:00 AM.

***

Monday rolled around and you found yourself standing outside an auditorium at a robotics building. Jimin stood beside you, staring ahead.
"This is it." You let out a deep breath.
"You are nervous." He pointed out.
"I am."
"Why?"
"Well, this is a huge opportunity. I'm about to show some of the country's biggest scientists and engineers my best creation—you."
"There is no need to be nervous."
"Right." You nodded. "Let's go."

You reluctantly stepped into the room. A small group of engineers sat in the first row of chairs, their attention turning to you when you entered the area.
"Hello." You greeted.
"Hello. Are you Y/n L/n?" One of the men asked. He sounded like the man you spoke to on the phone.
"Yes, I am."

One by one, you greeted the panel of experts and introduced yourself as well as Jimin.
"Is this the android you mentioned?" A woman who you now know as Mrs. Kim asked.
"Yes, ma'am. This is Jimin."
"Incredible. I almost couldn't tell he was a robot. May I?" She asked, gesturing towards Jimin.
"Of course." You nodded, allowing her to get a closer look.
Jimin watched the woman as she approached him. She began touching his hair and face, her brows raising in astonishment.
"This is incredible. He feels so real."
"Thank you. I've worked very hard to make sure he's as realistic as possible."
"What sorts of functions does he have?"
"Well, he's pretty much like a normal person. He has reading comprehension, he can read people's facial expressions and body language to understand how they're feeling. He has all the functions of a normal person."
"What about emotion?" One technician named Mr. Choi asked.
"Or humor?" Another inquired.
"Yes. Most AI robots have the ability to tell jokes."
"I'm not sure." You turned to the android. "Jimin?"
He looked at you before turning to the group of technicians. "What do dog robots do?"
Everyone looked at him, awaiting the answer.
"They byte!" He responded with a beaming smile.
The punny joke elicited chuckles from the small group, even yourself.
"That was a good one." You chuckled.
"Thank you, Y/n." Jimin gave you a small nod.
"This is an incredible feat." Mrs. Kim clapped.
"It is. You're the only robotics technician to create such a realistic android." Mr. Choi congratulated you.
"Thank you, sir."
"We'd love to hear how you built him." The man you spoke on the phone with, Mr. Hwang, said.
"Of course."