Namjoon ♡ Busy Baking [request]

Requested by @luzmaze

Word count: 1,154

The rain pounded against the windowpane with such force that the sound echoed through the house. It had been that way all day. The dreary weather and almost constant rain had inspired Namjoon, so he went to the small studio in your apartment to work on music while the motivation was still there. Meanwhile, you were left to entertain yourself, settling on playing games on your phone while you listened to the downpour outside. Unfortunately, the games only occupied you for so long and you found yourself staring up at the ceiling, wondering what you could do to pass the time.

You could go into Namjoon's at home studio and sit with him, watching while he works, but you didn't want to get in his way. Maybe you could just watch some TV.
Grabbing the remote, the turned on the television, clicking through channels. You let out a sigh as nothing sparked your interest, muttering to yourself as you continued channel surfing.
"Rerun, rerun, boring, rerun, movie I've seen at least ten times, boring, boring, rerun." You muttered to yourself.
It was only when the signal went out from the storm outside that you gave up, turning the TV off and setting the remote aside.
A few moments passed as you contemplated on what you could do to pass the time, an idea suddenly popping into your head.

Stepping into the kitchen, you began taking out pans, bowls, and ingredients for cake. It was nearing 1 AM, but you didn't care. There are no rules saying you can't bake after a certain hour.
Everything was laid out neatly, ready for you to use. You made sure your hair was out of your face and you hands were washed before you dove in, scooping out flour and sugar. Baking was a hobby of yours, but it had been a while since you made anything, so it was nice to be getting back into it.
There was a recipe for chocolate chip cake that you wanted to try out, among many others. Once the batter was all mixed up, you poured it into a circular cake pan and popped it into the preheated oven.
Scrolling through your phone, you found another recipe you wanted to try out, not thinking twice as you began preparing the batter. You worked, not paying attention to the time, too engrossed in your hobby to notice.

***

Namjoon opened the door to his makeshift studio and stepped out into the hallway, stretching his stiff legs. It had been a few hours since he went into the room and he wondered what you had been up to while he was working.
The delectable scent of something sweet being baked reached his senses, grabbing his attention. He immediately followed the smell, his feet moving on their own and leading him down the hall.

What he reached the source of the delectable scent, he saw you bustling about the kitchen with oven mitts on. Your hair was haphazardly tied up out of your face and your clothes were covered in flour. Stacks of bowls, spoons, cooking oil, egg yolks, shells, and other baking ingredients littered the countertop. At the very end sat two cakes, one chocolate, the other vanilla with what appeared to be chocolate chips mixed with it. You had just pulled a third cake from the oven, pushing aside a small pile of wadded paper towels so you could place the fresh-out-of-the-oven cake with the others. That's when you noticed Namjoon, who was standing in the kitchen doorway staring with wide eyes.

"Oh, you're done?"
"Yeah." He answered distantly as his eyes trailed over to the clutter on the counter.
"Sorry the kitchen is a mess right now. I haven't had time to clean up."
"What on earth are you doing?"
"Baking." You answered simply, pulling off the oven mitts.
"Why?"
"I wanted to do something fun." You shrugged. "It's raining outside."
"It's nearly 3 AM."
"It was 1 AM when I started." You stated, tossing the wadded paper towels into the trash and tidying up the countertop a little.
"How many cakes did you make?"
"Just three."
"That's a lot for just us two."
"We can give one to the boys. I'm sure they'll love it." You responded, gathering the bowls you used to mix the cake batter and placing them into the sink. "Hey, you wanna help me decorate them?"
Namjoon stood for a moment, thinking it over. After a few brief moments of contemplation, he nodded his head, thinking it would be a fun, low-stress activity to do after working on music for hours.

Once his hands were washed, he grabbed a piping bag filled with purple icing and began squeezing it out onto a plain vanilla cake, doing the best he could. Using the piping bag, he drew out little hearts over the surface of the cake, then made an attempt to do some fancy designs around the base of the cake like professional decorators do. In the end, it looked a bit sloppy.
"Aw man." Namjoon muttered.
"What?"
"The cake." He gestured to what he though was a monstrosity in front of him with a frown.
You gave him a flat expression. "Joon, it's not even that bad."
"It is. It's messy."
"It's cute."
He made a face.
"I like it a lot." You added.
"Are you lying to make me feel better?"
"No. Not at all. I think it's a cute cake and you're being dramatic." You told him, giving a light pinch to his cheek.
He couldn't help but smile. "Okay. This cake can be ours, then."
Satisfied with his answer, you reached for the last remaining cake.
"Is that a chocolate chip cake?" Namjoon asked.
"It is."
"Can I try a slice?"
"Sure. Fair warning, this was my first time baking it, so I'm sorry if it tastes bad."
You cut a piece for your boyfriend, putting it on a plate and handing it to him.
You watched with anticipation as he took a bite, waiting to see what his reaction would be.
"Wow." His eyes went wide as he stepped back for a moment, collecting himself before going in for a second bite.
Seeing his enthusiastic reaction made you happy.
"We have to keep this one too." He told you.
"Okay. Then, the boys can have the chocolate cake."
"Sounds good to me." He responded with a mouthful of cake.

The cakes were decorated nicely and covered to keep them fresh. At this point, you were exhausted and ready to go to bed.
"I still have to wash dishes." You groaned, remembering the mess you left in the sink.
"I'll take care of it." Namjoon told you.
"Are you sure?"
"Mhm." He hummed, pressing a kiss to your temple. "Go get some rest."
You gave him a quick peck on the lips, thanking him before scurrying off to bed.