Namjoon ♡ In Another Lifetime [request]

Requested by @lifewithtayandbooks

Word count: 6,694

Your index finger ghosted over the spines of the hundreds of books lining the shelves, waiting for one to grab your attention. As you did so, you stole glances at the owner, Namjoon. You adored books and loved to read, but you also liked Namjoon. The two of you would often catch each other's gaze from across the room, but neither of you exchanged anything more than a few words.
Namjoon, who was carrying a stack of returned books, ended up nearly dropping them as he watched you peruse the shelves. He wasn't watching where he was going and nearly tripped over his own feet.
You heard the commotion, lifting your head to see where it came from. He gave you a shy smile, letting out awkward chuckles as he sped walked away.
You smiled softly, continuing to peruse the novels, waiting for one to catch your attention. Once you made your selection, you went to the front desk to get it checked out.
Namjoon had just finished putting away the returned books when he spotted you waiting at the front desk. He immediately hurried over, stumbling slightly as he did so.
"Sorry about that." He murmured, pushing his glasses up.
"It's alright." You responded, not bothered in the slightest by the brief wait. "From what I've seen, you work very hard to keep this place going."
He glanced down, bashfully, his dimples making a brief appearance. "Thank you."
You handed your book over to him so he could fill out a small card.
"Oh. This is a really good book." He commented after checking the title.
"It is? It seemed interesting to me."
"It's wonderful. I'm sure you'll like it."
"I'll have to let you know what I think about it when I finish reading."
"I'd love that."

As promised, once you finished reading the book, you talked about it with Namjoon for quite some time. After that, the two of you got acquainted and you continued to chat about books. Turns out, he had read almost every book in the library, which explained why he knew so much about nearly every novel you checked out. It didn't take long for him to start recommending books for you to read. Since you liked him (and reading) so much, you couldn't say no.

Today, you were browsing through fantasy books, wanting something that would take you away from reality.
"Back again?"
You turned to see Namjoon, who you'd become rather close with other the last two months.
"Of course." You responded.
"Did you finish reading the last book already?"
"I did. Only took me two days."
"What did you think of it?" He asked, tilting his head.
"It was riveting. I couldn't put it down."
"I'm glad you liked it." He smiled. "What are you looking for today?"
"Fantasy. Something to transport me to a different world. Any suggestions?"
"Ah. Follow me."
He led you to a section in the back of the library, his eyes scanning the shelves until he found the book he was looking for.
"Ah. Here." He smiled softly, pulling the book off the shelf and presenting it to you. "I find that this one is perfect for escaping reality. The writing is incredible. It will literally transport you to a different world."
"I'll take your word for it." You smiled, taking the book from him.

You went home that day and started reading the book. Namjoon was absolutely right, the writing was incredible. You were pulled into the story immediately, feeling every emotion of the main character as if you were in their place experiencing it firsthand. It was gripping and thrilling and you were only about halfway through.

Unfortunately, you'd fallen ill.
You were bedridden and no longer able to go to the library, therefore you couldn't return the book you checked out.
Namjoon noticed your lack of presence. At first he brushed it off, trying not to get ahead of himself, but when two weeks passed and he hadn't seen you, he started to worry. So much, in fact, that he resorted to going to your place to check on you. He'd been there before, the both of you spent a little time together at your place having tea and discussing your favorite reads.

He approached the front door, giving it a few swift knocks. A woman who appeared to be around the same age as you answered the door.
"Hello. Is Y/n home?"
"Who's asking?"
"I'm Kim Namjoon. I own the library down the street."
"Ah. Namjoon." The girl gave him a knowing smile. "I'm her sister, S/n. She's talked about you quite a bit."
"Has she?" He blushed. "I haven't seen her at the library in a while. I was worried."
"She hasn't exactly been able to leave the house."
"Why not?"
She looked around before leaning in. "She's sick."
"What?"
"She's been bedridden for weeks. She was so worried about returning the book she checked out. She was more worried about the book than her health." The girl shook her head. "You can come inside and see her. I'm sure she'd be happy you stopped by."
Her friend moved aside, allowing him to step into the home before she escorted him up the stairs to your bedroom. On the walk to your sleeping quarters, Namjoon prepared himself for what he might see. He didn't know how bad the sickness was, what it was, or how it had effected you. So, he prepared for the worst.