Part 220

Almost three and a half months.

That's the amount of time he and his mother had been living in fear, unable to lift their heads, afraid of going out in public.

Their online shop had also come under attack, with antis leaving complaints and bad reviews. Both mother and son felt like that their sanity had reached their maximum. Only the innocent trusting eyes of their pets, Luffy the dog and and Kele, his mother's new cat, gave them strength.

And of course Xiaoyu, Susu, and their close friends and relatives rallied around them, providing support whenever they could

Zhang Zhehan and his mother were so grateful for that, but it was all they could do to help. They still couldn't return Zhang Zhehan's innocence, or speak up for him. Nobody could.

Until 23 November, when the CAPA attempted to hammer the final nail into the coffin.

The draconian blacklist had caught the eye of well-known producer and director Li Xue Zheng. Director Li used to be an investigative journalist and smelled a rat.

That day, he had read the latest blacklist, and questioned the legality of it all

That day, he had read the latest blacklist, and questioned the legality of it all. With Zheng Shuang and Kris Wu, there was solid evidence to prove their wrongdoing, but with Zhang Zhehan, it was based on a photo and massive internet opinion?

Since when did the netizens replace the court of law?

He offered his legal team to fight the case for Zhang Zhehan, and asked Zhang Zhehan to contact him.

Like an angel descending from heaven, Zhang Zhehan's white knight offered him a ray of hope.

But Zhang Zhehan no longer recognised what hope was. He dared not put too much faith in this, lest it disappeared into thin air again.

Gingerly, tentatively, with trembling fingers, he had dialled the number he was given. Director Li's staff had spoken to him warmly, and arranged for him and his mother to speak to Director Li.

His mother had been overjoyed, and her tears flowed out once again as she recounted the sadness of the past few months. How bewildered she had been by the country suddenly turning its back on them, how abandoned she had felt, and how her heart and soul had been thoroughly shattered.