Part 325

As expected, Yang Yang's mouth fell open in surprise. "But how---"

"Internationally. Outside of China. On iTunes, Youtube Music, Spotify and other platforms."

This time Yang Yang's eyes bulged in shock

This time Yang Yang's eyes bulged in shock. "Outside of China?!"

 "Outside of China?!"

"Yes baby." Zhang Zhehan smiled at him reassuringly. "China may be the greatest country in the world, but it isn't the only country. It has its flaws, and I can't afford to waste the best years of my life, waiting for my name to be cleared, if at all."

"You know me, I'm not the type to sit back back and do nothing. My fans are waiting for me. If I can't make my comeback in China, where the private capital has suppressed me, then I'll make my comeback outside of China, where they cannot do anything to me and where my fans can find my voice."

This was an incredibly ballsy goal, and Yang Yang needed some time to process what he had heard. The concept of Chinese artistes developing their careers overseas was not new, but they mostly had to speak English or Korean. Jackson Wang was a perfect example of an artiste who succeeded in multiple markets.

But he read the lyrics, and heard the demos of Zhang Zhehan's songs and they were in Chinese?!?!

"Are you going to sing in English then?" he asked in bewilderment.

"No, silly, they'll be in Chinese." Zhang Zhehan ruffled his hair and laughed, but considered it for a moment. "English song huh? That is something to think about for the future."

"Chinese songs?" Yang Yang continued frowning in confusion. "Then how--?"

"There are over 50 million ethnic Chinese outside of China. Singers like Jay Chou and JJ Lin regularly sell out in places with a large ethnic Chinese population, like in Malaysia and Singapore, and even predominantly Western locations like Australia. I'm not in their league, so I can't compare with them and hold a sell-out concert in a stadium. But their success proves that overseas Chinese are a huge market, and I hope to tap that."