Part 276

Zhang Zhehan wiped down his golf club and carefully kept it back in the bag. The driving range was uncrowded in the late morning, so he had a leisurely time relaxing in the chilly weather.

"Ready to go?" His golfing buddy asked him

"Ready to go?" His golfing buddy asked him. "The usual place for lunch?"

 "The usual place for lunch?"

"Yeah." Zhang Zhehan sighed with contentment at the productive morning. "It feels good to be back here again."

"Many more such days ahead, bro." His friend pushed up his sunglasses and looked towards the trees. "Look, the new leaves have sprouted, and soon the flowers will bloom. These are sure signs that winter will be over and spring will arrive. Just like how summer never fails to prevail over the bitter cold, your worst times will be behind you too."

"So poetic." Zhang Zhehan laughed at his friend's analogy but appreciated his words of encouragement. He knew it to be true, that it was always the darkest before dawn.

"Now that you're back, we got plenty of things to do. We can go camping and stuff. Since we cannot travel overseas, local tourism is the way to go."

"Bro, do you think they'll lock down Shanghai?" Zhang Zhehan sighed and looked towards the towering skyscrapers in the distance.

His friend looked towards the same direction. "Never say never. Didn't they lock down Xi An in January?"

"How can Xi An be compared to Shanghai? Shanghai has twice as many people as Xi An, and is an international finance centre. The economic costs of a lockdown is huge."

"True, but money can always be earned back. We can't be too careful with human lives. The priority is to stop the virus from spreading and people from dying."

Zhang Zhehan considered his friend's words; he did have a point. If they could prevent even one death by locking down a city of 26 million, then it would be worth it.

Later that evening, as he was playing his guitar to pass the time, Yang Yang finally returned for their last night together.

Zhang Zhehan brightened up as Yang Yang walked in through the door, shrugging off his heavy winter jacket.