Part 345

Gong Jun wrapped up the day's filming and waved at the crew. "See you tomorrow, thank you for your hard work!"

He headed to his trailer, eager to be embraced by one of the greatest inventions of the modern world -airconditioning. He was filming in Hainan, a great place to be during the winter months, but not so great in the summer. And especially not great  when he was playing the part of a policeman, and had numerous chase scenes in the tropical heat.

He had asked his staff to stock up on the local sweet coconuts, and he was eager to drink one now.

As he neared his trailer, his steps slowed. DaXiong was waiting for him, her eyes red.

"What happened, are you okay?" He reached out for her as she stumbled towards him. 

"Junjun...Ma-jie.......passed away!" DaXiong barely contained her tears as she broke the horrible  news.

"Ma-jie??" Gong Jun's mind went blank as he tried to make sense of the words. "Our Ma-jie?"

Despite the Hainan heat, he felt a chill run through him.

It can't be....

Ma Tao, the producer of <Word of Honor> was called Ma-jie by all who knew her. She could be considered his benefactor, his star maker. After all, it was her foresight, her artistic vision and her faith in them which led to the smash hit <Word of Honor>, and catapulted him and Zhang Zhehan into the top ranks.

 After all, it was her foresight, her artistic vision and her faith in them which led to the smash hit <Word of Honor>, and catapulted him and Zhang Zhehan into the top ranks

<Word of Honor> had been a dark horse; to be frank, nobody had any expectations for that drama. It was simply another danmei novel adaptation, and had minimal advertising.

It had none of the "preheating" campaigns to create awareness and anticipation for upcoming dramas. It merely dropped overnight without fanfare.

But it made stars out of Zhang Zhehan, Gong Jun and even Zhou Ye. For this alone, Gong Jun was eternally grateful to her.

He had heard that she had been struck with cancer, but he hadn't expected the disease to have progressed so fast

He didn't even get to say goodbye, and she was gone just like that.