Part 259

A week later, Zhang Zhehan sat in a warm restaurant with Director Li, enjoying Northeastern cuisine. He had visited Director Li and invited him out for  before he headed to his home in the South for the Spring Festival.

Director Li chatted amicably with him. He too preparing to go back to his hometown. It would be some weeks before they met again, so Zhang Zhehan came to pay an early Lunar New Year visit.

"Don't worry about anything." Director Li assured him. "Work done offline is more important than whatever is going on online."

He leaned in and confided. "I'll let you in on some good news. The Supreme People's Court has appointed me as a film consultant. This means that justice is not blind, nor can it be swayed by private interests or bought with money. The people behind all this dirty business have gotten away with their shennigans for so long that they thought that they are above the law. But they had better hold that thought for now."

"Of course, Xiao Zhang, this does not mean that you are completely absolved

"Of course, Xiao Zhang, this does not mean that you are completely absolved. Remember that my interest in your case is purely based on procedural justice. If the Supreme People's Court finds you guilty of any wrongdoing, you will be punished accordingly and I won't defend you, regardless of whether I am affiliated with the Court or not. But any accusations and punishments must go through due thought and process, and it must be commensurate with the crime. Of course, since we have evidence that an industry competitor was behind all these, then it is they which must be punished."

Zhang Zhehan naturally knew of all this. Director Li had drilled it into him since day one, and constantly repeated on his Weibo and videos that he was not whitewashing anyone.

They chatted a bit more, before Zhang Zhehan said the traditional New Year greetings and took his leave.

He grabbed a cab and headed back to the luxurious love nest in central Beijing.

"Hey." He smiled as he opened the door. His lover stood in the living room and was looking at his phone, still clad in his winter jacket."

"Hey, I was just about to text you." Yang Yang looked up at him and smiled.

" Yang Yang looked up at him and smiled