Part 237

Zhang Zhehan entered his birthday numbers into the keypad and let himself in.

He could hear Yang Yang in the kitchen, practicising his romantic《You Are My Glory》 song as he prepared their dinner.

Xiaoyu's words resurfaced in his mind. "He'll have to start filming soon, and you'll be apart for months."

Apart for months.

Zhang Zhehan felt his heart throb with sadness. He had almost forgotten that Yang Yang had mentioned that he had this upcoming drama, and the female lead was potentially Zhou Ye.

He had been so caught up with his own case, that he neglected to ask his lover about his own projects.

And Yang Yang never mentioned it again. He only talked about their upcoming ski trip, his commercial work, and the 《China Dream My Dream》 show.

Zhang Zhehan knew that he would go and visit Yang Yang where ever he was filming, but it was different from the flexible schedule of the past months.

"Zhehan, are you back? Go wash your hands, we can eat soon." Yang Yang stuck his head out from the kitchen and grinned at him.

Zhang Zhehan hung up his coat and headed to the kitchen. He obediently washed his hands, and slipped his arms around Yang Yang, hugging him tight.

He already started missing him again.

Yang Yang turned to kiss him on the cheek. "Today is worth celebrating, and it is Christmas. I thought we should have a Western meal, so I tried making a steak." He gestured to the "how-to" video playing on his tablet, and his phone which was counting down to zero. "Once 3 minutes is up, it should be done. Can you start mixing the salad?"

Zhang Zhehan released him and went to prepare the salad. Yang Yang noticed that he was unusually silent, a stark difference from how jovial he was earlier in the day.

"Is everything okay, Zhehan? Where's Xiaoyu-ge? Why didn't you ask him to join us?"

"I did ask him." Zhang Zhehan sighed. "But he said he wanted us to have a romantic evening on our first Christmas together." He opened up the packet of vinaigrette dressing and poured it in a bowl. 

Yang Yang glanced at him in puzzlement. His boyfriend should be happy; his case had been accepted by the Beijing police, and the investigation would begin soon. So why wasn't he in a good mood?

The timer sounded, and Yang Yang carefully plated the steaks. They busied themselves with their tasks in silence.

Finally, Yang Yang poured out their red wine and sat Zhang Zhehan down. He looked at that unsmiling face, and at his downcast eyes. 

"What's on your mind, Zhehan? Did something go wrong with the case?"

Zhang Zhehan shook his head, his hair brushing across his fine cheekbones. Yang Yang reached out to tenderly tuck the hair behind his ears. 

"The case is fine. It's just that...." Zhang Zhehan frowned as he stared at the ruby red wine. "You are going to start filming soon for your fireman drama. And I have a bit of trauma about this. Do you remember my movie <The Bravest> with Du Jiang and Huang Xiaoming? I suffered from bad smoke inhalation while filming that movie, and I kept coughing and vomiting for days after that. I'm worried that you will suffer from the same thing, and that it will be dangerous."