Part 264

It was 1 February 2022, the first day of the new year. 

His apple-round cheeks red from the cold, Zhang Zhehan laughed happily as he tossed a cousin's child high up into the air and caught him. The rest of the kids gathered about him, clamoring for their turn. 

"Uncle Han, me me me!"

"Uncle Han is tired! Can I take a rest first? We'll continue later!" Zhang Zhehan grinned down at the waiting children. He set the boy down on the ground and ruffled his hair. "Go take some sparklers and play over there."

As the children ran off he headed over to where his relatives were gathered at the mahjong table and took a seat behind them, observing the game. 

"How's the case coming along?" An uncle asked, passing him a bowl of dessert soup

"How's the case coming along?" An uncle asked, passing him a bowl of dessert soup."

"Slowly." Zhang Zhehan smiled at him in thanks as he took the bowl over. "I can't say too much, but it's progressing. I'm sorry that you guys got doxxed because of me."

"That's all right, bro." A cousin encouraged him. "We're family, we stick together. We have nothing to hide, and you have done nothing wrong."

Many members of his family had been investigated when the August incident broke. His family tree got searched and his relatives got investigated if there were any foreigners, specifically any Japanese, in their family. Some of them had been harassed as well.

All because of the lies perpetuated by people who want him cancelled, and these lies pervaded the layers of society and became the truth.

"I said it before." Zhang Zhehan sipped the soup and savored the sweet gingery taste as it warmed a path to stomach. "If they want me out of the industry, fine. I can always do something else apart from acting. But once they touch my family, my mom, anyone that I care about, that is my bottom line. I will fight tooth and nail with them."

"That's the spirit!" The table cheered in unison with claps and whistles. "That's our Hanhan! The pride of our Zhang family!"

Another cousin reached over stuck a sticker of a tiger on his chest. "Damn right. 2022 is the year of the Tiger. Time for you to unleash the beast!"

"Let's drink to this!" An uncle unscrewed a bottle of baijiu and took a long swig before passing it to Zhang Zhehan. "Hanhan, go for it. Show 'em motherfuckers that we Zhangs are not to be bullied. Fight for your rights!"

Zhang Zhehan gulped down a mouthful of baijiu and winced as the fiery liquor burned his throat. He looked at the time and pulled out his mobile phone to check for messages. 

There was one from Yang Yang, who told him that he had landed in Anhui and was on the road to his grandparents' home. Zhang Zhehan wondered if they would be able to talk later. Without a doubt his relatives would fawn and fuss over him. 

And why not? He was such a handsome and good kid, everyone loved him, including his mother. He glanced fondly at his mother inside the house. She was brewing tea for the relatives, a gentle smile on her lips. He wondered if he would have a chance to come out to her about his relationship with Yang Yang.