Graduation

There was only two things that could make Mark cry: his brothers and his parents. Normally, when one of them was hurt or overly happy about something or sad, he would be right there with them and they would cry together.

This was no different except this was happy and sad tears and he was mostly crying for himself. 

"Don't cry, you big baby" Renjun chuckled tearfully, trying to hide his own tears. Mark laughed with him, wiping his tears away and hugging his brother.

"I can't help it! My little brothers are growing up" Mark teased, looking at his other brothers. Jaemin had his eyes trained on the ground, one hand covering his face as he too cried. Haechan's eyes were directed to the ceiling to keep from crying. Jeno had watery eyes but he was composing himself better than his brothers. Chenle had an arm wrapped around Jisung, the two of them weeping silently to each other. 

"Us? Your the one leaving!" Haechan reminded Mark. Jeno nudged him, shaking his head but it was too late. Mark burst into a fresh round of tears and clung to Renjun. The time had come and they knew it would; Mark was going to college. He had been planning on doing college online because he wouldn't be able to manage classes and practices once Dream became an official sub-unit of NCT but then a miracle happened. The boys got adopted by Taeyong and Lola and so they no longer had to become idols if they didn't want to. The program they had been in binding them to SM Entertainment was pushed aside and their contract was broken. They were free to make their own choices. 

The first choice Mark made, and quite possibly the hardest one he had to make, was going to college. He got into college in Seoul so he would still be close but he was going to be staying at the college dorms.

"I'm sorry you guys" Mark sniffled, wiping at his eyes. His brothers all crowded around him.

"Don't apologize. Your finding who you are. We'll miss you but we'll still be here when you return" Jeno promised. 

"Yeah, this was inevitable. Just like it's inevitable that Junnie will graduate and leave us and we'll all grow old and eventually die" Jaemin stated, not really aware how dark that sounded until he looked up. 

"Sorry" He added, not really sorry. Renjun looked at him. He had been thinking about his own future but being reminded that he was next to find his way in the world was the last thing he needed at the moment and he burst into tears. Mark wrapped his arms around him while Jeno and Haechan quietly scolded Jaemin. Chenle and Jisung were still sobbing uncontrollably. 

"What's this? A crying party" Taeyong and Lola walked out of the building. They had certainly aged and it showed but they still looked as young as they once had. They were still a very good looking couple.

"Come on, no crying. This is a joyous moment" Lola reminded the boys, wiping their tears. Jisung tucked himself into her side, refusing to move. 

"I'm sorry that I'm leaving" Mark turned to his parents. It had taken him a long time to view them as such but that's what they were. It just took him a bit to realize that.

"Don't be. We're proud of you. All of you have grown into such wonderful people and we can't wait to see what happens next. We'll still be here and our door is always open to you" Lola assured him. Mark nodded, thanking her. Taeyong's, and therefore Lola's and the boys', personal chauffeur pulled up and stopped. Despite not being part of SM Entertainment, the boys were still treated as celebrities simply because Taeyong was a rather famous idol and that privilege stretched over to them. They weren't spoiled but they were privileged, as Taeyong liked to put it. 

"I guess this is it" Mark sighed, loading his bags into the back. He turned to his family and stopped. He couldn't bring himself to get in the car and leave.