Foxes, rats, and dragons

"I have a bad feeling about this" Jaemin stared at the object of interest in front of him and five of his brothers.

"You have a bad feeling about everything. Don't let it out!" Haechan scrambled to grab the animal by it's scruff, pulling it back. The door opened and Renjun slipped in, staring at the small fox cub in the middle of the floor of the bathroom.

"What the-" Renjun spoke slowly, still processing his shock.

"Don't finish that sentence! Hyung will hear you" Mark warned.

"Hyung can't hear me up here" Renjun rolled his eyes.

"Sure he can! He always hears when one of us says a bad word" Chenle argued. Jisung, always one to back his favorite brother up, nodded in agreement.

"Yeah he has like a sixth sense for it!" Jisung added. Renjun rolled his eyes again.

"No one has a sixth sense" He argued. Jisung stuck his tongue out but didn't retaliate. He'd get Renjun back for it later.

"Quiet, both of you. We need to figure out a plan to take care of her" Mark got tired of the argument and interrupted.

"I'll take care of her. My spirit animal is a fox" Renjun volunteered. Mark didn't see any problem with it but Haechan did.

"That doesn't mean anything, In Joon" Haechan rolled his eyes this time. Renjun turned an angry red. He did not like being reminded of his Chinese name.

"Sure it does, Donghyuck" Renjun glared.

"Okay! We'll take turns. Renjun, you take first watch. The rest of us will distract hyung. Got it?" Mark interrupted again before an argument could break out.

"Got it" the other six echoed. Everyone but Renjun left and he sat down, playing with the little fox.

"Wait! We need a name for her" He stopped his brothers from leaving.

"Red?" Jisung looked at his brothers. They all wrinkled their noses.

"How about Ta Ma De?" Chenle suggested, grinning evilly. Renjun snorted.

"We'll do a vote later" Mark brushed the two suggestions aside but he did make a mental note to check what Ta Ma De meant later.

Hiding Red/Ta Ma De from Taeyong proved to be quite a challenge. For one, it wasn't the best idea to hide a fox in their bathroom since Taeyong went in there every other day to give the younger boys a bath. Still, despite their struggles, the seven boys managed to hide the little fox, plus all her little gifts that she left behind, for a week only.

"Boys, I want to talk to you" Taeyong called his kids into the living room. All seven of them were there in a short moment.

"Anyone want to explain why there is a fox in your bathroom?" Taeyong wondered.

"He found Ta Ma De!" Chenle gasped. Renjun hid his face and started laughing uncontrollably.

"Ta Ma who?" Taeyong was confused now. The other boys started laughing but none as much as Renjun, the only other one besides Chenle who knew what Ta Ma De meant in Chinese.

"Ta Ma De. It means-" Chenle went to explain. Renjun clasped a hand over the younger boy's mouth and told him to be quiet.

"Her name is Red!" Jisung argued.

"It doesn't matter! Why is there a fox in your bathroom?" Taeyong repeated. Seven pairs of eyes blinked up at him, looking innocent.

"She's our pet!" Jaemin squealed, excited at finally having a pet. Taeyong's face fell. A fox. Of all the pets his boys could possibly have, they chose a fox. He would have given them a bunny if he knew they wanted a pet.

"I know you boys just wanted to help her but this was not the way to do it. That fox is too young to be away from her mama. She won't survive unless she's back in the wild" Taeyong explained, aware that he was being harsh. Several of the boys looked at him with teary eyes, not knowing they could have killed their little pet.

"You meant well so I guess your not in trouble but don't do it again. I would have gotten you a pet if you asked"  Taeyong lectured. It broke his heart to see the dismay on his boys' faces. Taeyong sighed and sat down between the boys, taking Chenle onto his lap.

"I'll get you boys a pet if that's what you want but you need to let the fox go" He compromised.

"Can we get a bearded dragon?" Renjun brightened up at the idea of getting a real pet.

"Sure Junnie. We can get a bearded dragon" Taeyong agreed even though he knew he would regret it.

"I want a snake!" Haechan added, grinning.

"A rat!" Jaemin started jumping up and down in his seat.

"No!" Taeyong shook his head. He did not want a rat or a snake in the house.

"A ferret?" Chenle leaned his head back, looking up at Taeyong. Jisung nodded, he wanted a ferret too.

"Sure" Taeyong could handle that. He did tell the boys that they were going to be responsible for their dragon and ferret and a few days later, after releasing Red/Ta Ma De, they went to the pet store. Taeyong just had one more thing he was confused about.

"What does Ta Ma De mean?" Taeyong looked at Renjun and Chenle, who only laughed and ran off to go look at the kittens and puppies. Somehow, they managed to convince Taeyong to buy two kittens and two puppies as well.

-----------------------------
Mark-11
Renjun-10
Jeno-9
Haechan-8
Jaemin-7
Chenle-6
Jisung-5