Testing

"So what do you want to do?" Lola looked at Renjun, who just shrugged. Lola had been trying to spend time alone with each of the boys and it was Renjun's turn. But the ten year old seemed insistent on not making things easy for her.

"Your dad told me you like painting" She stated. Renjun nodded, not coming out of the little ball he had put himself in. His knees were pulled up to his chest and he had his arms wrapped around his knees. He did seem to perk up a little at the mention of painting so Lola went with that.

"Would you like to see an art museum?" She asked, hoping he'd give an actual verbal response this time. Renjun shook his head. Museums were boring.

"Graffiti?" He asked, looking up at her with bright eyes.

"We can't do graffiti but I can take you to get set supplies and we can paint if you want. We could even do it outside" She offered. Renjun figured that was better than nothing and he got up, taking her hand as they walked outside and down to the car. Renjun said nothing as they drove to the store. Lolz had the radio on and she noticed him listening in to one particular song so she turned it up. Renjun looked surprised. Him and Lola hadn't interacted much, she was always paying more attention to Jaemin or the maknaes.

"That's my hyung's" He pointed to the radio.

"Which ones?" Lola wondered, glad that he was actually talking to her now.

"Johnny-hyung, Yuta-hyung, Jaehyun-hyung and Jungwoo-hyung" Renjun listed off. Lola nodded along as she listened. They pulled into the store and got out. Lola tried not to be too overbearing, knowing that Renjun was ten and could walk a little bit ahead of her, but she did ask him to slow down a few times.

"Renjun, if you can't stay near me then you need to take my hand" She snapped. Renjun huffed and rolled his eyes, looking at her like she was being ridiculous.

"Would you rather we just leave? Because we can if you don't drop the attitude, little boy" Lola warned.

"Your not my mom. You can't tell me what to do" Renjun argued, embarrassed at being scolded in public.

"Your right I'm not but I am the adult and your father left you with me. Now either take my hand or we can leave. Your choice" She repeated. Renjun looked around to make sure no one was watching and walked over, slipping his hand into hers.

"Thank you love" Lola hoped the nickname would get him out of his shell more but he just gave Lola a really weird look.

"Whatever. Your still not my mom and you never will be" Renjun muttered. Lola heard him and while normally she wouldn't care, she was a little upset. Logically, Lola knew that not all the boys were going to accept her right away, Jisung was proof of that, but she hadn't expected it to be this hard. It was taking longer than she thought it would and she was trying to be patient. 

"That's okay. Pick out your paint" Lola waited for him to get what he wanted. 

"Don't tell me what to do" Renjun huffed again and looked at all the paints. Lola bit back a sharp retort. She was not going to get into an argument with a ten-year-old. Several people walked past, giving Lola dirty looks. They had heard Renjun's comments and didn't know why she wasn't doing anything. Lola noticed and said nothing. 

"Here" Renjun put five things of paint, a few brushes and four canvases in the basket. He looked up at Lola, as if daring her to tell him he couldn't get all of it.

"Don't you have canvases and brushes at home?" She knew that he did and she also was aware that Renjun was testing her. 

"Yes. But I need new ones. Their unusable and I want new ones" Renjun stated, again daring her to say no.