Home alone

"Where's appa?" Haechan wondered, walking downstairs to find that Taeyong was not there and instead Mark was the one cooking. That was not something that any of the boys saw usually. Even when Taeyong did have to randomly go into work, he was always there in the mornings. 

"Not here. Now eat and don't forget your jacket this time. I'm not walking it down to the middle school just because you forgot it" Mark ordered. He sometimes got a little bossy when Taeyong left him in charge, part of the reason why it happened so little. 

"Your not the boss of me" Haechan argued. Mark just looked at him and Haechan gave in, sitting down to eat. He knew for a fact that Mark was not above handing out swats if he felt the need, or even worse, calling Taeyong. 

"It smells good, Mark" Jeno walked in, overhearing the exchange between Mark and Haechan. Renjun was right behind him, looking like he had just woken up. It was quite the contrast to Mark, who appeared as if he had risen with the sun and been up for hours. He had in fact been awake for almost an hour and was very energized.

"Here sit down Renjun and let me fix your hair. It's a mess" Mark had a set of hair ties on his wrist for those of his brothers who had grown their hair out. Renjun was one of them. Even though their schools did not allow long or dyed hair, an exception was made for the seven boys simply because of their background. 

"Thanks" Renjun let Mark do what he needed to do while the younger boy ate. Mark tied his brothers hair into a ponytail, adding in a small braid on one side because he knew Renjun, and the girls at school, would like it. 

"There. Now we're missing a few people?" Mark looked around the table but it was still empty. 

"Chenle and Jisung are fighting over who's jacket is who's and Jaemin, I don't think is awake yet" Haechan answered. Mark went upstairs to break up the fight between the maknaes and try to get Jaemin up in time to eat breakfast and be on the bus for school. Mark managed to do just that, but only barely. 

"Jaemin, walk them to class please?" Mark looked at his brother once they all got to school.

"Hey, we're not kids! We don't need him walking us to class like babies" Chenle argued. Jaemin rolled his eyes and took his little brothers by the hand, walking them to their classes. Mark turned to his other three brothers, who were still standing in front of him, waiting. 

"Do you want me to-?" He didn't get the chance to finish.

"Nope!" Renjun answered for himself, Jeno and Haechan as they started to walk to class by themselves. 

"See you at lunch!" Jeno waved to Mark as he disappeared around the corner and the oldest was left in the middle of the hall alone. He walked by himself to class, knowing that he would have a class with Renjun soon but still a little upset that his brothers had left him so quickly. As he was going to his next class, Renjun cornered him in the hallway.

"The principal pulled me out of class. Something about Jisung" Renjun reported. Mark nodded, took his brothers hand and excused them both from class. They walked down to the elementary school and straight to where they knew Jisung's class was.

"What happened?" Mark knelt down beside his younger brother, looking more clearly at Jisung's face. He had a bruise on one cheek and his lip was bleeding but he was fine otherwise.

"I punched a kid!" Jisung answered proudly.

"Excuse me but I called for your dad to show up. Not you. Go back to class" Jisung's teacher dismissed them. Renjun glared at her but Mark put a hand on his arm to calm him. 

"Our dad is out of town for a few days. I'm taking care of this in the meantime. So, what happened?" Mark responded, trying not to sound upset. He didn't know why Jisung's teacher was being so rude about him and Renjun being there instead of Taeyong and he didn't like the way she was talking to him or his brothers.