Third time's a charm

It was easy. Too easy. It was the third time Jaemin has done this and he was surprisingly good at it. He did find that he didn't feel as bad as he had the first two times, like the guilt lessened the older he got. That probably wasn't true but that's what it felt like.

A small flick of his wrist, a nervous glance to make sure no one noticed and he had the prize in his pocket. He turned around and bumped into someone, looking up at the man in front of him. Jaemin could tell this was an employee but that only meant trouble for him.

"Come on kid. Put it back" the man instructed, sounding really tired. Jaemin pulled the little chain out of his pocket and set it back down. He felt a hand on his shoulder and he was led to the backroom to wait.

"Go on and call someone to come get you" The employee handed Jaemin a phone.

"Your not going to call the police?" Jaemin was surprised. Stealing was a big deal and most people wouldn't take kindly to having a kid take something.

"No. Your just a kid, what fourteen?" The man guessed.

"I'm sixteen" Jaemin corrected.

"Really? You don't look sixteen" The man laughed a little, clearly not believing Jaemin. The kid scowled at him.

"Yeah and you don't look like you should be alive anymore" Jaemin snapped back, typing in Lola's number. He was not about to fall Taeyong; that would be like signing his own death certificate.

She picked up after only a few rings.

"Mom...., I need you to come down to the corner store and promise not to be mad" Jaemin spoke as calmly as he could.

"What did you do?" Lola wondered, already leaving for the store.

"What makes you think I did anything?!" Jaemin asked, offended at the accusation even though it was true.

"Jaemin, your voice is shaking, your talking really quietly and your refusing to tell me why I have to come get you from a little grocery mart. So, what did you do? And don't even think about lying to me" Lola listed. Jaemin huffed, cause she was right.

"There's a guy who wants to talk to you" Jaemin avoided the question and handed the phone over to the man that he assumed was either the manager or the owner. Jaemin was left alone in the small room while the owner explained everything to Lola.

A moment later, the phone was handed back to Jaemin. The kid held it away from his ear, embarrassed at being yelled at over the phone in front of a complete stranger.

"Eomma-" Jaemin tried, and failed, to calm Lola down.

"I don't want to hear it! I am two minutes away and I expect you to have a good explanation as to why you did this! I'm calling your father" Lola snapped and then hung up. Jaemin was frozen for a minute before slowly handing the phone back to the owner. Any time Lola or Taeyong referred to the other as 'your mother' or 'your father', it was never good for the boys.

"Sorry kid" the older man was clearly embarrassed at listening to the whole conversation between mother and son. Jaemin glared at him.

Lola came walking in and headed straight for the back room, moving her sunglasses up to her head.

"Take your sister and be quiet" She ordered, looking at Jaemin with anger in her eyes.

"Yes ma'am" Jaemin quickly picked up Ha-Yun and set her down on his knee, entertaining the one year old while their mom and the owner talked. The two adults went to talk somewhere else but returned a few moments later.

"Apologize to the kind man. He's agreed not to press charges but you will be working here for the summer as punishment for stealing from him" Lola demanded. Jaemin stood up, still holding Ha-Yun and bowed to the owner.