His Birthday

It was your boyfriend Joe's birthday and you had a lot planned for the day, and quite a lot of surprises up your sleeves. You turned on your side only to face an empty bed, before you laughed quietly hearing Joe singing his lungs out in the shower. You slowly rose from the bed and made it nice and neat, fluffing the pillows after smoothing out the duvet before you made your way upstairs. Now since it was Joe's twenty fourth birthday, you thought you should make it special, so you had planned a very exciting day, but here's the best bit, you planned an exciting day without Joe. That's right, Joe wasn't going to be celebrating his birthday with you, his girlfriend of two years. He was going to be spending it with Caspar. Why? Well that's the surprise that you had planned.

As you smirked at your thoughts, you listened to Joe running up the stairs rather quickly. He slid his way across the wooden floor in his socks, fully dressed with his hair styled in nice neat quiff, smiling sweetly at you. "Good morning gorgeous.." He beamed, kissing you on the lips in the process. He looked around the kitchen, not seeing you whipping up a birthday breakfast like you did year prior and promised to do again this year. "Morning.." You smiled, chewing on your cereal casually, knowing exactly what he was looking for, but he wouldn't say. "You're up early, aren't you?" You questioned him as he peered over your shoulder, double checking that there wasn't a birthday breakfast being whipped up. Joe's eyes slowly turned back to yours and he gave you a small nod and a wide grin. "Well, I guess I'm just excited.." Joe explained, the smile still evident on his lips, his fingers drumming on the counter top in a quick rhythm. You watched his eyes scan around for some sort of indication that you did remember his birthday, like a card, a present or even a ballon and a banner but you had nothing. It was so cruel to do this, but it would be so worth it in the end. You purposely didn't leave him a card, or whip him up a birthday buffet because you wanted him to think that you forgot about his birthday.

"Excited for what?" You asked acting confused, finishing up your breakfast and bringing your bowl to the sink to wash up. You watched Joe's facial features as his wide smile turned into a small frown and his brow furrow together. He parted his lips to speak but Caspar, who was also in on your little plan, got to him before he could speak. "Hey man! I've gotta go get a new card for my camera..Would you mind going with me to get it? It's a bit of a long ride..We could maybe catch a film too?" Caspar grinned at you both, standing by the kitchen island and you watched Joe look back to you but you showed no emotion and made sure you didn't give anything away. Joe sighed, scratching the back of his neck and nodding, a small hopeful look on his face that his best friend Caspar would remember such a special date. "Cool man! Let's go!" Caspar smiled, not even mentioning the fact that it was Joe's birthday as he grabbed his wallet and took hold of his keys. You bit the inside of your cheek, biting back a laugh and a smile seeing Joe's shoulders fall and a deeper frown grow on his face, as he nodded at Caspar. Joe turned to face you and you peeked over to Caspar as he gave you a wink, a secret code you both decided on to agree that the plan was ready and in motion to go with.

"Will you be alright babe?" Joe asked, walking to you as he shrugged his coat on his shoulders, giving you one last hopeful look, hoping that you'll even remember that today was his birthday. You softly pecked his cheek and smiled, brushing him off. "Oh, I'll be fine! Don't worry about me..You better get going, don't leave Caspar waiting too long.." You answered, keeping your cool as you stood from your seat and watched Joe frown. "Erh, yeah..yeah, yeah, cool..okay..I'll see you when we get back?" Joe asked, completely deflated as he walked backwards towards the door. You nodded flashing him a small smile and waving him off as he stumped off with a frown and closed the door.

As soon as the door closed shut, you couldn't contain the growing smile and the giggles that escaped you. You ran over to Caspar's desk where he had a locked drawer, where Joe knew that Caspar kept many private pieces in lock down, and it was one of the most perfect hiding places for what you were about to pull out. Caspar allowed you to use the drawer and loaned you the key, after you unlocked the drawer, you pulled out the banners you had personally made for Joe's birthday which read "HAPPY 24th BIRTHDAY JOE" along with his birthday card you had wrote up ages ago. You set them on the kitchen counter and quickly hoovered the flat and cleaned up some things whilst you waited for the arrival of yours and Joe's friends. You had planned a big surprise party for Joe and he definitely hadn't suspected a thing.