The Open Road

Joe's been driving Y/n to her hometown every month for years, but this car journey held a lot more than either of them expected.

The time has come again where Joe has to drive you back to your hometown. He's been doing this for you for the past three years, seeing that your hometown is so close to his - it pushes him to go home more often too, which is good.
You slide into his car, checking that your bag is fine in the back seat.
"Your laptop in there?"
"Of course" You look across to the boy wearing glasses.
"Might wanna strap it up" He suggests.
"We aren't going for a fucking joyride Joseph" You huff, but proceed to climb to the back and buckle it in.
"You never know" He clicks his own seatbelt into place before sticking his hand out of the window to wave goodbye to Caspar.
"Gay" You mumble, smirk on your lips.
"Oi shut up" He grins, pulling out of the driveway. There's always been something satisfying watching Joe drive, he seems so calm when he drives. This road trip is always your favorite time, seeing that you barely see your best friend while he's recording and editing the majority of the day. As tradition, you start playing your music. Ten songs in Joe gets to choose his. Of course, Martin Garrix comes on first, both of you screaming it out.
"My turn" Joe switches it to Caspar's playlist. Fittingly, Coming Home comes on.
"Fam it knows" You stare at his phone.
"What can I say, everything of mine is very intelligent. I teach it well" He pulls on his hoodie, bigging himself up before joining you on the chorus.
"I'M COMING HOME, COMING HOME, TELL THE WORLD THAT I'M COMING HOME" He near enough screams, fist balled up.
"LET THE RAIN, WASH AWAY, ALL THE PAIN OF YESTERDAY" You finish it off through laughter, bringing your knees up to get comfy. Joe just has that kind of aura that vanishes any worries of yours. Oh yeah, you definitely have a crush on him, ever since you met him in your hometown 7 years ago.
Even the silence isn't awkward - it's clear he simply enjoys your company.. maybe not the way you enjoy his, though.
Breaking the silence, Joe turns to you briefly before turning his attention back to the road.
"I forgot how we met, remind me"
"Really?"
"I'm sorry" He giggles, flicking the tip of his nose.
"In that stupid football club that my brother went to"
"Oh yeah, you were so awkward" His grin widens. "So cute though" He mumbles.
"Yeah alright lanky ass" You sigh and shift your gaze away from him. Joe? Calling you cute? Nope.
"Nah but don't you find it weird that one of my best friendships was found through something that wasn't even mutual, you hated football"
"Still do, it's stupid" You smirk.
"No, it's not!"
"Ha, after all these years, one simple sentence can aggravate you"
"Honestly, Y/n, shut up"
"Fine"
"No, don't" He moans childishly. "Y/nnnnnnn" He whines. "Y/N!" He knocks you with his elbow. "Tell me something I don't know about you"
"You should know everything about me" You raise your eyebrow.
"I know, I'm a shitty best friend" He adjusts his glasses up his nose.
"Okay.. I think your glasses are adorable" You smile at him. "Now you"
"Really? I've had these for so many years now" He laughs shallowly.
"Yeah" You sheepishly brush your hair behind your ear.
"Okay, me now?"
"Mhmm, come on"
"Uhmmm.." He chews on his bottom lip, forcing his dimple out. No, fight the urge. Don't poke it. Don't.. Poke... Fuck it. You stick your index finger into his cheek, quickly reteating as you let out a belly laugh.
"I'm sorry, I'm sorry, go on" You breathe deeply.
"You're so fucking weird. I guess that's one, I've always connected with you better than anyone else I've met"
"Cos I'm special" You flick your hair out.
"That's for damn sure" He cackles, bracing himself for a slap. "DON'T DISTRACT THE DRIVER!"
"Yeah fuck you" You laugh. Your brain ticks; 'should I say it?.. Just go for it..'
"Next" He orders. 'Just say it'
"These car journeys are my favorite times of the year" You blurt out, words stumbling over one another.
"Me too" He grins at you. "Why though?"
"I guess we just have time to talk and stuff" You trail off, trying to stay away from his eye contact. 'Have I gone red? Fuck'
"You're so bad at answering me sometimes, we get to talk every day. What's different in the car?" He presses. 'Fuuuuck'
"I don't know, I just like it when you're driving, car trips with you are my favorite. It's calming, no one's here" You feel a weight slowly being taken from your chest. 'DO IT Y/N'
"Yeah, it is nice. Away from all the noise at the house" He switches lanes on the highway. A shiver goes down your spine as a pit of anxiety starts welling in your stomach. 'Fucking. Do. It'
"Plus I've had a crush on your since I met you" Your words fall out. You sit, shocked at what you just said, staring at the dashboard. This silence is deafening. "I.. I- I mean I-"
"Y/n it's fine" He cuts you off. "I'm glad you were the first to say it" He struggles for words "I've been wondering how to tell you for weeks.." Joe's hand lands on top of your own hesitantly. Looking across to him, you see that his ears have changed to a shade of scarlet - he's anxious as hell too.
"You're serious?" You barely squeak out. He just nods, with a smirk.
"I realised about two years ago.. surprised you didn't pick up on anything" He shakes his head. "Thought I was in the friendzone" He sighs - you can see the anxiety leaving him. You're taken aback, left silent. "Over the years, I got to know you. You became my friend, we got on so well for years on end. There was never any awkwardness.. Even when you turned up drunk at mine and you threw yourself at me" He laughs, head in hand.
"You said you wouldn't bring that up again" You whack his arm.
"Okay, okay, I'm sorry Y/n" He looks at you. This look was a little longer than the others - everything on his face seems so much more beautiful. Eyes filled with blue crystals, lips curved into a perfect smile, whisps of hair sticking out from his snapback. As if in slow motion, he takes your hand into his and you watch a smile grow on his face. "These car journeys are definitely my favorite thing now" He says, barely audibly; then leaves a small, soft kiss on your hand.
"Me too" You gleam.

BY: jiddleybehz on tumblr