He's a Cheater

Tonight was movie night. You and your boyfriend Joe of two years decided to have one every once in a while so that you could spend some time together. See, he was always busy filming videos or editing them for his YouTube channel, whilst you were busy teaching English at an international school. Of course, you lived together, but that didn't mean you saw each other very often. Your sleeping schedules were very different and so where your working hours, so you agreed to bathe in the time you had together whenever you had the chance.

You had just come back from work, and Joe had promised that he wouldn't be busy filming or editing tonight so the two of you could watch a romantic comedy together. He liked comedies, you loved romance, so you decided that that was a happy medium. You were so excited, your heart felt like it was tingling.

You dumped all your stuff on the dining table which was almost right in front of the door of the little flat the two of you shared. You let your warm coat gently slide down your arms and then went to hang it up on the coatrack. You were surprised Joe hadn't already shown up to greet you, since usually, as soon as he heard the sound of your festoon the polished wooden floor, you would be in his arms within seconds.

That didn't happen today, which made you slightly suspicious of what was going on. Sometimes, although rare, you came home to find Joe asleep behind his three moniters, his editing software still up and running. The thought of it made you smile, so you quietly creeped down the hallway to your shared bedroom, which is where he recorded and edited most of his stuff.

You already had a smile on your face, adoring how young and innocent your boyfriend looked when he was asleep, but your heart sunk when you didn't find him in your room. You straightened your back and frowned, looking back in the direction of the kitchen and living room.

'Joe?' You called out, and your voice echoed slightly. No response. Not even the quietest sound of a slight movement.

He wasn't in the flat.

Your bottom lip quivered.

You walked back into the living room and looked at the coatrack behind the front door.

His jacket was gone and his shoes were missing. He had obviously left to go somewhere.

Then you heard something vibrate, and you turned around abruptly to see his phone lying on the coffee table in front of the couch. The screen was facing upwards and lit up, showing he had received a notification.

You weren't usually the kind of person that would check through someone else's phone, but this time curiosity took over. It was probably just a notification from twitter anyway. You walked over and peered at his screen, and then your heart stopped.

It actually felt like your heart physically stopped. Like you forgot how to breathe.

Samantha:

Joe?

Who even was Samantha? His phone screen turned off and you decided to ignore it, thinking maybe it was a friend, or one of the boys' girlfriends you hadn't heard about yet.  Any way, it wasn't something you should worry about, you told yourself.

You were about to walk into the kitchen to make yourself some tea, but you froze in your tracks when Joe's phone buzzed again. You frowned again, and walked over to see what it was.

Samantha:

Babe?

Babe? Who the hell was this? Who was calling your boyfriend babe? This was not okay.

Another buzz.

Samantha:

Did you forget your phone again? xx