Cheating?!

You placed a gentle knock to the doorframe of his room and begun, nervously, "Joe?" When you caught his eyes as he spun around in his chair at his desk to face you, you took a small step into the room, adding, "Can I talk to you for a second?"

"Uh... Sure." He answered hesitantly, swallowing, switching seats from the chair to the end of his bed, patting the empty space beside him, gesturing for you to sit down, but you didn't. Instead, you walked into the room and stood across from him, leaning against his desk. He nodded awkwardly. "Go ahead."

You let out a breath of steady air, that shook away into nothing at the tail end. You crossed your arms over your chest and crossed your left leg over your right at the ankle. "I've been hearing a lot of stuff-"

He rolled his eyes. "None of which is true."

You breathed out of your nose heavily. "But... How do I know that?" You questioned carefully, scared of saying something that might make him blow up. He'd never done it before - he'd only ever raised his voice at you once - but you were unsure of if he'd never do it. "It's... It's hard to believe you when everyone talks about how close you two seem and how you'd be adorable together. And everyone else's suspicions too."

"Oh, you mean Twitter? They're just trying to start shit." He held eye contact and, when you didn't respond, feeling guilty of believing what random people said, he added, "I am not messing around with her."

"But... How do I know that?" You repeated, gaze falling to the floor.

"I-I don't know!" Joe stammered, frustrated, voice raising, which made your heart beat in your throat. Quickly, his eyes went wide for a second, and then closed, and he switched out his aggressive tone for one much quieter. "How do I prove it?"

"I don't know." You said quietly, feeling as though someone was sitting on your chest.

He looked off into the other direction. "I can't believe you don't trust me." He muttered.

You shot a look at him, which he caught out of the corner of his eye, evident in how fast he locked eyes with you. "I'm trying... But..." You shook your head. "Look, it's kind of difficult when I've been hearing all of this stuff. I want to believe you, Joe. I do... But... It's hard."

"Okay, but, have you talked to her?" He folded his arms over his chest.

You nodded gently. "I-I mentioned it to her."

"And what did she have to say about it? Do you not trust either of your best friends?"

You were silent.

He continued, miffed, "I just don't even know what to say about this anymore. She and I are friends but that's. It." Joe said sternly. "I honestly am pretty offended that you'd take me for that kind of person."

With that, you blew up out of frustration, and yelled, without thinking of who would be able to hear, "What do you expect from me? It's not my fault! I've tried to push it off and give you the benefit of the doubt and believe you but it's not that easy! Do you know how shitty it feels right now to be made out to be the asshole in this situation?" You had to clench your fists to stop yourself from throwing whatever your fingertips were touching on the desk as you held yourself up on your hands.

"I'm not trying to make you out to be the asshole!" He retorted sharply.

"Then what? I still feel like shit because I don't believe you and how you're so expecting of me to just drop all of my suspicions and trust you is making me feel like shit! It's not my fault trusting people isn't easy, I would think if anyone could understand that it'd be you!"

"I do understand, but we've been together so long I just thought you'd think of me a little better." He shrugged, lowering his voice, which you didn't do in return.