Right Person, Wrong Time (Pt.1)

The bed felt empty. However, it wasn't, Joe lay at least a foot away from you on the very edge of the bed with his back facing you. You could tell he wasn't asleep and you weren't sure whether that was a good or bad sign.

Your gaze never left the ceiling as you replayed the fight you two had only hours before over and over and over again in your head like a twisted movie.

"Do you know what you are, (Y/N)? You're selfish! Always thinking of yourself and not giving anybody else a thought!" Joe yelled, his hands moving wildly like they always did when he was angry and emphasising his points.

"I'm selfish?!" You laughed in complete disbelief, "just because I'm thinking of myself for once? I'm selfish for wanting to do something with my career? If anyone here is selfish, it's you! This has been my dream job for as long as I can remember and you don't want me to go for it."

Joe slammed his hands down onto the kitchen island in front of him causing you to jump slightly. "I never said I didn't want you to go for it, I just said that long distance wouldn't work. It never does!"

"Are you saying that after three years together, we can't survive a long distance relationship?"

"(Y/N), the jobs in America! It's not exactly round the corner, is it?" He banged his hands against the table again and after a few seconds of him calming himself down a little, he shrugged. "There's plenty of jobs in Britain."

"You are unbelievable!" You were the one to slam your hands onto the counter this time. "This is important to me, Joe, I can't believe that you're so against me moving forward with my career! I would never stop you from doing anything with Youtube and you know that, I have supported you every step of the way with it. Why can't you do the same for me?"

The two of you held each other in an intense stare for what felt like an eternity before Joe sighed and dropped his gaze to the counter. His eyes glanced back up to yours as his voice came out in a whisper, "are you willing to throw away this relationship for a job?"

You furrowed your eyebrows as you took a step away from the counter, giving your boyfriend a look of exasperation. "I'm not the one throwing this relationship away; you are"

Without warning, Joe turned around to face you and confirmed your suspicions that he hadn't been asleep. His tired eyes immediately softened once he caught sight of your tear stained cheeks and he reached forward, grabbing your hand in his before pulling you into his chest and wrapping his arms around you tightly.

"I love you, (Y/N), so much and I'm never going to stop loving you," his voice sounded croaky as he spoke into your ear, "and that is exactly why I have to let you go."

You shook your head as you pulled away slightly to look up into his eyes, "no, Joe, that's not what I want."

"I know and it's not what I want either. But we both need time to grow as people, think about what we want and to progress in our careers. Long distance will ruin us and I love what we have too much for it to all end over the phone when we both realise that it's not working."

Tears streamed down your face and Joe gently wiped them away, "but, hey, in a few years when we've both got our heads together, it might finally be the right time for us. That's all we need, (Y/N), time."

Rain bashed against the windows of your new apartment as you unpacked one of the many boxes that filled your living room. So much for sunny skies, you thought with a roll of your eyes as you silently cursed the weather app for giving you false hope.

Your ringtone echoed around the room and you answered it with a smile once you saw the name of your best friend flash across the screen. "Josh, I've not even been gone a day and you already miss me?"

"Well, of course I do, but that's not the reason I'm calling," Josh's voice sounded worried and you immediately placed the photo frame you was unpacking back into the box before moving towards your couch.

"What's up?"

"Joe hasn't left his room since yesterday and we've been all dying to know what happened, but he won't tell us." Good job you were right in front of the couch because the mention of your ex boyfriend's name made your legs fall from beneath you.

Trying your best to make your voice not sound shaky and failing, you asked, "how would I know what's been up with him? We haven't spoken in a month."

The line went quiet for a moment before Josh cleared his throat, "not even yesterday?" He asked slowly, almost like he knew something that you didn't.

"What's going on?" You decided not to beat around the bush, your heart couldn't handle anymore suspense as it felt like it was about to burst right out of your chest.

"Joe went to the airport yesterday, he wanted to catch you before your flight and ask if the both of you could try and make it work," Josh sighed. "I'm guessing he never made it on time."

Your breath got caught in your throat at Josh's words and you thought back to Joe's words from the night you broke up. All you needed was time, and you both never seemed to have enough.

BY: lovingminter on tumblr