Play Pretend

I think the worst part about a break up is the anticipation about seeing them afterwards. Because you know you will. Whether it's five months down the line, or five years down the line, you're gonna bump into them, and it's gonna hurt. A lot.

The first few months are the worst; everybody creates heart palpitations. Any tall looking guy with curly hair - and there are a few of those around my area, believe me - are a warning sign upon first glance. But every time they'd turn around, and it would just be a false alarm.

It gets to a point where you almost hope it's them. Not because you miss them, or you want to talk to them, or even want to see them...but you just wanna get it out of the way. You want to be able to say yes, it's been five months, and yes, that one strand of hair still falls over his forehead like it used to, and yes, his eyes still sparkle just as much; but I don't care anymore. I don't need to worry about that anymore.

No matter how over an ex you think you are, deep down you know you wanna look good that first time. You want to make them regret. It's not an 'I want you back thing' - it's just a superficial, I crave other people's validation way too much thing. I knew from the very first day without Y/Ex/N I needed to make him some sort of jealous when that interaction first happened.

And so I did.

It was a late night, sort of. Something like midnight. I was tipsy - not enough to lose responsibility over actions, but enough to be...confident. We were in the centre of London, just Joe and I, finding a place to carry on the fun of our night.

It wasn't like it sounded - the fun was platonic. We were just a couple of close friends, stumbling around the city that never sleeps with warm, intoxicated breath and blurry smiles.

I heard him before I saw him; his deep, almost shrilling voice, so naturally pitched it was almost inaudible. I think Joe heard him too. I think he tried to pretend he didn't.

"Y/n," his hand met with my shoulder blade, his touch so familiar. "I...I can't believe it's you."

I guess in hindsight, I was lucky. It was every girl's dream. He liked when I wore red lipstick, and I just so happened to be wearing it. He always admired my thighs and on this cold night my skirt just so happened to show them. His eyes reflected the admiration, showing it still burned just as much as it had months before.

"Jesus. It's...you."

The breath was knocked out of my lungs as he pulled me in for a hug, Joe's hand taking home against my lower back, almost like a warm and comforting stop sign. The embrace was short lived as I pulled away. I edged closer to Joe. It didn't go unnoticed.

"Yeah, it is. Me." He nodded, his eyes scanning my grown and improved body. I felt Joe tense slightly. The awkward atmosphere was clear.

"So..are you here alone?" I asked, cringing instantly. Way to act smooth.

"Yeah, yeah I am." He smiled slightly before focusing his attention to Joe. "And you're..well, not, I guess?"

I looked between the two men.

"Oh yeah, um I guess I should introduce you?" It came out as more of a question than a statement, to which Joe couldn't suppress a slight laugh. I reached out to hit his arm, but he grabbed my hand, bringing it to his lips and kissing my knuckles. My lips parted slightly. I quickly shook my head.

"Joe, this is...well, you already know, I've cried down the phone to you about him before." I wanted to hit myself. Drunk brain - STOP. "Y/ex/N, this is Joe. My-"

"Her boyfriend," Joe interrupted. He reached out one hand as a greeting, using the other to wrap around my waist in order to bring me closer to him. "It's a pleasure to meet you. Sort of."

"Boyfriend?" The curly haired imbecile repeated, clearly surprised. Yeah, me and you both, I thought to myself. Where had this come from? Joe was my best friend...what had possessed this?

Part of me was kicking myself; the alarm bells were set off instantly at the warmth the word had sent through me. I moved even closer to Joe as he began to stroke up and down my back. My entire body tingled.

The two men continued a slightly, to say the least, bitchy conversation, but I had zoned out completely. Joe's fingers traced patterns onto the exposed skin of my backless dress and I felt myself melt into him. I liked the secret intimacy of it. As I silently focused on this I felt him look down at me.

"Well, we should probably be getting home. You're staying at mine, right?"

I nodded. I didn't have any stuff on me to stay at his, but in all honesty, I didn't care. In this moment of time he could have asked me to commit a double suicide with him and I most likely would have agreed - I was completely under his spell.

"Alright, babe." My heart swelled. "Well, it was nice to meet you - sorry, I don't remember your name."

I watched as Y/ex/N's jaw clenched slightly. He was quite clearly irritated, and I quite clearly didn't care. It was nice to not have any feelings for the toxic fuck anymore. We said our goodbyes - involving him leaning in to kiss my cheek, and me backing away - before we turned around to leave.

"What was that?" I asked, feeling the alcohol's effects starting to multiply.

"I know you've always wanted to make him jealous," Joe spoke, his hand taking refuge in mine, our fingers intertwining. "I thought you might appreciate a little help in your stuttering state."

My cheeks heated. It didn't go unnoticed.

"You look cute when you blush you know, Y/n."

"Go away, Joe," I laughed.

"That's not a nice way to talk to your boyfriend is it?"

I looked down. Boyfriend. I knew the label was a playful tease, and after this night it would never be used again between me and Joe...

but I couldn't help but wish that it would be.

BY: calcumshot on tumblr