Happy New Year

I had no real plans for New Year's Eve this year. Friends had invited me to their parties but I decided I'd rather just ring in the New Year at home, peacefully rather than at a party. I picked up a bottle of wine for myself, went back to my flat and sat on the sofa, and turned my eyes to the festivities on TV.

As I attempted to concentrate on the TV, I realized why I had denied all the invitations, it was Joe. Joe and I were generally close friends, I was friends with the rest of the guys too, but Joe and I were particularly close. I realized I had feelings for Joe a couple months after we met, but I had never said anything about it because I assumed I was crazy, and I stood no chance next to the other girls he talked to. The guys had invited me to their New Year's party, but as soon I heard the mention of Joe bringing a date, I quickly denied their invitation. When they asked why I told them that another friend was having a party, and she had invited me first, so I felt obligated to go. They accepted my excuse without question, but I could still see the obvious disappointment on their faces. Over the last month, I had slowly begun to drift away from the group, as every time I went out with them it was always awkward for me to see Joe with another girl when I had such strong feelings for him. New Year's Eve was no different; I had no desire to see Joe with his arms wrapped around another girl, while I stood alone, wishing I were her.

There I sat on my sofa, drinking my glass of red wine alone when suddenly my phone rang. I picked it up off of the table and saw it was Joe,

"Why would he be calling me, he's at the party?" I thought to myself.

"Joe?" I answered questioningly.

"Y/N", he said, "aren't you supposed to be at that party?"

"Oh-oh yeah" I stuttered "b-but my friend uh she's sick uh the flu or something uh I don't know it's just really bad she had to uh cancel her party she was so sick."

"Really so you're free then?" He asked

"No," I said although I was yet to come up with an excuse

"Oh yeah, so what are you doing then?"

"Oh, you know just getting ready to drink some wine and watch the stuff on TV", I exaggerated.

"So you wouldn't be interested in being my date to our party if for example, my date didn't show up?" He questioned.

"I mean if she really just didn't show up then yeah, I'm sure my wine could wait I guess if you're really desperate", I laughed.

"I'm desperate 95% of the time, Y/N, you know that." He joked

I thought about it, and then finally said, "I'll be there in 45 minutes."

"Fantastic", he said and hung up.

I jumped off of the sofa, and into my bedroom to find the perfect dress to wear to the occasion. I decided on a black one that fell a few inches above my knees, hugging my hips, with small cutouts at the sides. I finished putting some makeup on, and making my hair look presentable, put the dress on, and left quickly. I drove to the house and parked my car behind the already huge line of cars outside. I quickly walked to the door and wandered in. Right away I saw a massive crowd of people. I was making my way through the crowd when I felt a hand on my shoulder, I turned around, and there stood Joe with a grin on his face.

"You look beautiful", he said.

I blushed at at the unexpected compliment "Thank you, you don't look too bad yourself, must've really wanted to impress that date of yours"

He laughed, "Always worth a try."

Joe, and I walked together through the crowd, I recognized some people, though others I'd never seen before. There was Vik and his girlfriend Kay who had visited a few times before. Also by them was Callum and Sarah, while Freezy was off god knows where. I was uncomfortable in large crowds and my hands had slowly begun to shake, Joe must've noticed because he reached for my hand and held it as we walked, little did he know that was just making me even more nervous.