Late Night Walk

You let out a miffed, loud noise which made Joe jump and spin around in his chair. You shared a laugh with him as he saw you hanging upside down over the end of your bed, the top of your head flat on the floor. "Joe..." You whined, bored.
"What?" He turned back to his laptop.
"We should go somewhere." You suggested, making sure your voice sounded over excited.
"Like where? It's midnight." He raised his eyebrows at you, looking over his shoulder.
"I dunno..." Your words trailed off into silence and you continued short after a pause, "For a walk. We don't have to have a destination, you know. Just walk and see where it takes us."
He thought for a moment and then shrugged to himself, shutting his laptop and setting it on the bedside table. "Sure." He reached to the opposite side of the bed and picked up his sweater from the floor. When you looked at him expectantly, he walked over to his bag and fished out one of his hoodies, throwing it at you. It was your favorite of his - you felt safe and happy in it, and it held the smell of his cologne the best. It wafted through the bedroom as he threw it, pulling his hoodie of choice on over his head after the other left his hands and landed in yours. You were a surprisingly good catcher upside down.
You brought the sweater up to your nose as you sat upright, closing your eyes and cringing as the blood that rushed to your head rushed back down, and breathed in deeply.
"What are you doing?" He questioned, staring at you like he'd just seen a ghost.
"I-I don't know." You were startled by his tone. "You smell nice?"
"I've heard that before but I've never seen anyone just straight up sniff my clothes." He laughed, opening the door to your bedroom as you put on the hoodie. Once you got it straightened out, he added, pointing at you, "But I'll let it slide because you look damn cute in that."
You looked down at it and smiled. "Do I?"
"Yeah. Looks much better on you than it does on me." Joe returned the grin and stuck his open hand out to you as you got up. You approached him and took his hand, being led out the bedroom door and then the front door, taking a break to put on your shoes.
You left the house hand-in-hand and, coming to the sidewalk, you looked at each side.
"Left or right?" He asked, swinging his hand that held yours as you idled.
"Uhh..." You paused. "Right." You answered confidently. "Towards the park."
"Thought we didn't need a destination?" He gave you a smirk.
"Well, now we do. I wanna go on the swings." You shoved him playfully.
As you begun to walk in silence, he added, "I didn't even know you had a park here."
"What do you take this place for?" You laughed. "Of course we have a park."
"I-" He stopped himself, and then let out a frustrated groan. "Yeah, I guess."
For the next few minutes to the park, you walked quietly, listening to the faint whistles of the slight wind as it passed through tree branches. It was a warm wind, and it was nights like this you loved having someone like Joe to experience it with. He appreciated it as much as you did.
Occasionally, you'd have to whine at him for having longer legs than you and scold him until he slowed down, as you couldn't keep up with him. Eventually, for the fifth time of crying at him, he stopped. "Look, babe," He laughed, facepalming at you being out of breath from trying to stay at his pace. "Here." He let go of your hand and crouched in front of you. "Piggyback time."
Giggling, you jumped on his back and squealed as he held your legs and picked you up. You felt like you could touch the clouds. After thirty seconds of that, he put you down and insisted he held you up on his shoulders instead, not wanting to deal with the soreness of having to carry you tomorrow. You, sarcastically and fake-offended, asked him if he was calling you fat, and he stammered out a "no" before you could even finish your sentence. Laughing, shaking your head slightly, you obliged.
Now carrying you on his shoulders, as he started to walk, he commented, "Y'know, I never mind being between your legs but it's a little saddening that I'm facing the wrong way."
You reached over and slapped him on the side of the face.
"Ow!" He cried, slapping your lower leg in retort.
As you entered the park, he set you down on your feet and you ran to the swings, hopping onto one of them. You pushed off the ground with a childish grin as he got onto a swing beside you a little later, swinging his feet.
"It's nice being back in my hometown for a little bit." You begun quietly, trying to initiate conversation.
"It's nice being here with you." He smiled, kicking up rocks. "It's really nice here too."
"Yeah..." Your voice faded into silence, the only noises being the slight whistling of the wind, the sound of the squeaky chains of the swings, and heavy breath from the both of you, taking in the fresh air like you'd hadn't done it in years.
Suddenly, he spoke. His voice was soft, matching nicely with his eyes. "Y/N?"
"Yeah?" You turned your head in his direction and held his gaze.
"I love you."
You hesitated for a second, but then replied with a wide grin, "I love you too."
He broke eye contact, pushing off the ground with his feet. "I just feel like I don't tell you enough. Like... I feel like I don't appreciate you enough. 'Cause-"
You cut him off, waving your hand around. "No, Joseph, you do."
"But..." He paused. "I feel like I don't. 'Cause I'm always so busy... You know? When we got together I really felt like you were it. The girl that I'd be spending every minute with, the girl I'd be spoiling for the rest of our days together. But I don't take you anywhere."
"You take me places." You shrugged.
"Yeah, like recording sessions..." He mumbled.
"But that's not the point. You don't need to take me places." You pushed yourself to the side and put a hand on his shoulder. "I'm fine just sitting in your room while you record, honestly. And some of the best times I've ever had is just joking around with you and the guys. I don't require much, Joe."
"I know, I know, you don't care about the money I have or the material things I can give you or the places I can take you. But that's not the point either, because I want to take you to these fancy restaurants... I want to take you places. But I just can't as much as I want to."
You reached over and took his hand, squeezing it. "It's okay. Seriously."
He nodded. "Alright."
"It's so nice out here at night." You switched the topic quickly to save the both of you from the awkward silence that would have followed. "The stars are so pretty."
"Yeah." He agreed. "Really gets me thinking."
"About what?"
"I don't know..." Pause. "Life."
You stopped staring at the stars to glance at him. "And? What do you think about life?"
"It's nice having you in it." Joe answered sweetly.
You couldn't help smiling, and opened your mouth to answer, but you were cut off.
"Y/N?" He added.
"Yeah?"
"I have something to give you." He stretched his legs out to reach into his pocket. "A gift."
Half-nervously, half-excited, you said, "Okay," knowing that if you said anything like "Oh, you didn't have to get me anything," it would just bug him. Since he liked getting you things.
He pulled out a small black box with a gold lining, and handed it to you. "Open it."
Hesitantly, you took it from him and opened it. You expected it to be earrings or something of the sort, but it was a necklace - you could barely see it in the dim moonlight, but if your eyes did not deceive you, it was a small, tear-shaped diamond - that was, presumably, fake - and on the back was a pair of initials. Yours, and Joe's.

BY: imaginesidemen on tumblr