Space

"I promise I'll be back by 12" Joe says, leaning in to kiss your cheek. You nod and feel your eyes drift to the floor, knowing it was a lie. Your feet crossed over one another until you hear the door shut. Finding yourself looking at your surroundings of Joe's flat, you sigh. Another anniversary not spent with your boyfriend. A small laugh escapes you as you imagine what your mother would say. 'End it, there's so many more guys that would kill for your time'. Biting the inside of your lip, you see flashbacks whiz through your head; the time you opened your door to make your first journey to your first job, and Joe was perched at the end of his car with a smirk on his face. The time he wrote a love song on his piano for you, the first time he told you he loved you. You swallow the lump in your throat quickly and run your hand over the back of your neck.
You pad over to the kitchen counter and pull yourself up onto it, planning a list of things to do to keep you busy.
"Need to clean this" You pat the counter as you look around at the messy kitchen behind you. No matter how much you scrub the counter, no matter how much music you listen to, Joe works his way into your thoughts. You love this boy so much, you trust him with your entire life - but you can feel your heart breaking little by little every hour, every minute and every second that you're away from him. You had moved into his flat around a year ago in hopes that you'd be able to spend more time with him; in the beginning it was amazing, you got to see his gorgeous face every morning you woke up, you got to hear his voice humming songs in the shower on a daily basis. But now you barely see him a few hours a day because of his hectic work schedule. 'He couldn't even free up his Anniversary day' Your head speaks. With this, you feel a tear drip down your face and onto the surface. 'I can't do this any more'.

You find yourself checking the clock every so often between your chores. It hits 12pm, then 1pm, then 2pm. You shake your head, tension building in your body like a squashed spring.
As you're in the bedroom, changing the bed sheets and cleaning Joe's desk, you catch yourself looking at the deep blue silk cloth sticking out of the wardrobe. Opening the door fully, a small smile pulls at your mouth and your hand follows the seams along the front of long, sleek dress you had bought for this anniversary. When you picked it out, you instantly fell in love with it, hugging the right places and draping at your feet so elegantly.
"Maybe next year.." You mumble and close the wardrobe door properly. "With someone else" You gulp, thinking through the thoughts telling you that it would be best if you cut it off. You've been telling yourself that it'd get better for months, you've sat down with Joe numerous times about it, and every promise had fallen through. Just like today's lie.

When the door opens almost silently, you're perched on the sofa, eyes fixed on the screen.
"Hey, Y/n, I'm sorry I'm-"
"Don't bother apologising" You mutter. Your heart is in your throat. You're really doing this. Your voice cuts through the confusion radiating from him. "I'm fed up"
"Of me coming home late? Look, the guys-" He sits next to you.
"No, stop making excuses. It's our third year anniversary, Joe" You try to control your chest from pumping faster. His eyebrow drops and he turns his body to you.
"You have no idea how bad I feel about it" He takes your hand, triggering tears behind your shut eyes. "I tried so hard to cancel it"
"You could have at least gotten back at 12" You choke, rip your hand from his and make your way into the bedroom. "We've had countless conversations about this, Joe"
"I know, and I'm trying so hard" He follows you down the hall.
"No, no you're not" You turn your body to his, his face ridden with guilt and confusion. "I may not have any idea how bad you feel about it.. But YOU have no idea how fucking unwanted I feel" You choke, allowing your tears to fall. Joe goes to speak, but your hand shoots up to signal silence. "Joe, I'm done"
"Please, Y/n" He sounds as if he's being strangled. "I'll try so much harder"
"no" You shake your head. "I'm done" you breathe, your heart pumping rapidly. "I'm leaving in the morning, I'll take the sofa tonight" You mutter, grabbing your coat and storming out of the flat, tears streaming endlessly down your cheeks.