5

Madison continued to keep her nose deep into her book, and her food was finished. Remus was the same except his food was on his plate or his mouth. James was yelling down to Lily as usual and Peter was quiet. Sirius was quiet, but that was only because a Ravenclaw girl had joined him and sat upon his lap and kept his mouth busy, if you know what I mean. Other girls sat glaring at the blonde on his lap but she didn't care and quite frankly nor did Sirius. It wasn't until Professor McGonagall spilt the pair up, that he cared about anything.

"But Minnie!" he groaned.

"No buts Mr. Black, otherwise it'll be detention with me at eight o'clock this evening." The pair huffed and the Ravenclaw went back to her table.

"Madison, the work you did on constellations and stars was really good," Peter said.

"Thank-you." She replied a blush creeping onto her cheeks and the tips of her ears.

"Yeah, Mads. You gave Sirius a run for his money, I didn't know anyone could be better than him at astronomy," James added. Instead of blush she looked down, he didn't have the right to call her 'Mads' there was only one person that ever called her that but that is a story for later.

"Don't call her that, Potter, it is not her name," Lily spoke up, knowing she didn't get called that it was either Madison or Maddie.

"It's only a harmless nickname, Evans I don't know why you so bothered," Sirius replied.

"Just don't call her it," Remus sighed. He tried to keep the peace between his friends but it was tiring, especially more so since he had broken sleep that night.

James and Sirius backed down after Remus intervened. Madison continued reading with Remus and Lily either side of her.

"Does she ever stop reading?" Sirius laughed.

Madison was reading, one, because she loves it and, two, because it kept her calm when she was anxious. She wished he was sat nowhere near the two boys but Remus sat with the girls and her and the boys followed.

Remus was not her only friend before Hogwarts her other next door neighbour was her best friend too. Their houses stand at an odd angle, Madison's being in the middle. Remus' was to the right and the other house to the left. The angle was so weird that from Remus' bedroom window which was on the left you can see Madison's which was on the left and her other friend's which was on the right. It sort of went in a curve. Remus knew the other friend but chose not to be close to him. Yes it was another boy. However he had known Madison longer than Remus had. He too, moved from Galway to Devon as their parents are close friends but that didn't stop her from befriending Remus.

The boy's name is Mattei. He had dark red hair that was always perfectly styled and a caring personality. He loved sports and music but loved reading too. He also loves jokes and was a funny guy too. The pair would always stay up for late night chats from the bedroom windows and often one of them would climb into the tree that was between the houses and into the other ones room. Their parents didn't mind, they knew nothing would happen and they didn't even have to ask to enter the other house, they were that close.

Mattei also was a wizard, but went to a wizarding school in France, called Beauxbatons. She missed him dearly, and he missed her all the same, sending letters was something they did every week at least once.

When James called her 'Mads' her mind instantly trailed to Mattei. She hadn't sent him a letter this week and they hadn't spoke much at all either. The thought of him made her want to talk to him. She slyly the most recent letter from her bag and placed it in front of her but hidden by her book. The messages between her and Mattei were special, they cared so deeply for each other. Even though she had sent her response off yesterday, re-reading his words on the page brought her home.

"Very sneaky, Madison."

"You know it," The girl whispered winking at Lily.

Time went on as and the others around the table began to notice the shy girl chuckling from behind her book. Her page hadn't been changed in minutes and the group began to become suspicious. Remus also saw her letter and instantly knew why she was laughing to herself. If he was honest he doesn't like Mattei. Not because he was jealous or anything but because he was wary of him. Something seemed off with the redheaded boy and he didn't know what.

Sirius stood up and leaned over the table to look, making the girl jump as he tore the paper from her hands. He read through words and looked back at her. "Mattay?" Was all he said.

Madison looked at her lap twiddling her thumbs as if she had done something wrong. "Mattei," she whispered. In her eyes she must have done as Sirius looked at her.

"Padfoot, give it back," Remus said from his book.

"No I want to see!" James whined like a first year.

"No Potter, give it back."

"Only if you go out with me Evans."

"In your dreams."

"Oh it always is in my dreams," James winked earning a look of disgust from Lily.

Evangeline stood up and snatched the letter from the two boys and handing it back to Madison who thanked her, noticing the gazes from many students staring at the scene.

Sirius Black certainly will be the death of Madison.

A/N- For those who still struggle Mattei is pronounced Matt-eye.

Edited 2021