108

Returning to school was even worse than before. Not only had even more students disappeared or not returned, the Mary shaped hole in the marauders and the girls' lives had been created and nobody would be able to fill it or fix it.

Professor Dumbledore and the rest of the teaching staff alike offered their condolences to the group and all agreed that for not just them but all of the students, punishment for lack of concentration, lack of homework and other activities that take place that would otherwise be punishable would be now lessened, after all that had been happening, they couldn't bring themselves to punish nor put too much pressure on anyone.

Sirius had kept Madison in with him every night since the return to school, she was not coping at all. Like when Mattei died, she wouldn't sleep or eat properly, none of the girls were. Even the boys were not eating or sleeping fully either, well, all except Peter, he, somehow could cope but it was probably his way of grieving. It had got to the point where all of the girls were sleeping in the boys' room. James had transfigured some of their old school books from previous years into camp beds for the girls to sleep in, and not in a cheeky way but in a concerned, comforting way offered Lily his bed and he would sleep in the camp bed but she declined.

Sirius held Madison close and tightly during the night as she whimpered and shuffled in her sleep. "Shhh," he gushed rubbing her back as she wrapped her arms tighter around his bare waist. "It's okay, I'm here."

James had sat up upon hearing Sirius small whispers and he carefully climbed out of bed and checked the other girls. Lily, Evangeline and Marlene were laid side-by-side holding hands as they cried in their sleep. Alice was cuddled in with Frank who was awake, making sure Alice stayed asleep as well.

"Every time they step foot in their dormitory they burst into tears." Said Frank, quietly so that none of the girls woke up. "Mary was a friend of mine as well but these girls were sisters and are still sisters."

James nodded, "they're not going to have anything left to cry soon, they'll be crying but no tears will fall because they'd have run dry. I wish that there was something we could do."

"All we can do is support them and make sure they know we're here for them and we will never not be," Remus said quietly climbing out of bed as well, he stood beside James and tucked the girls further under their blankets.

"Moony, help me carefully put them all in my bed, I can bunk in with you." Said James.

Remus nodded and the two boys carefully pulled apart Lily and Marlene's hands. James slipped his arms beneath Marlene's petite body and lifted her up transferring her gently into his bed. Remus did the same with Lily and laid her beside Marlene as James got Evangeline. The three girls cuddled up instantly, still silently crying in their sleep. James and Remus, thankful that they could all fit, tucked the three in softly and moved over to Remus' bed.

"How can that prat sleep soundly?" Sirius questioned, motioning over to Peter who slept with no care in the world.

"Some people grieve differently, Pads," Remus told him.

"Yeah, but he doesn't seem at all affected!"'

James nodded, "I hate to admit it but he's right, he seems alright."

Remus drew breath, "Mum told me a story once about her friends. She said that one of her friends died and when everyone was grieving one of the girls' uncle didn't seem at all affected, a bit like Wormy now. She said that the reason was because it hadn't sunk in yet, he was a slow processor and despite everyone else crying and mourning, he didn't feel any of that because the death hadn't sunk in yet. Give it time and he might show signs."