24

Remus fell asleep leaning against the door of his dormitory and after about an hour, James had convinced Sirius to let him back into the room. He had explained that Remus wasn't to know of what had happened, and therefore had every right to ask Madison to the ball. Besides, Sirius only kissed her, he has kissed practically every girl in school. He didn't even know if he liked her.

James and Peter both hoisted the lanky boy into the room and laid him on his bed, covering him with his duvet before them, themselves went to sleep. Sirius yet again didn't fall asleep, he couldn't.

Did he like Madison?

He couldn't, he never liked anyone.

A snog, maybe more, but never a relationship.

He couldn't help but smile at the thought of the girl, everything about her was so uniquely amazing. From her accent to her looks to her personality. She maybe different to Sirius in many different ways but that was something he liked. He still wasn't sure, he hadn't known her long and they were barely friends, and now he had fucked it all up.

* * *

It was Christmas eve and many girls rushed around panicking on whether they had enough time to get ready. Not Madison. She sat cooped up in a window seat of a corridor, hiding from the girls that she shared a dorm with, they too were already getting ready. She didn't see the point, they had six hours until the ball and therefore only and hour maybe two was needed to get ready, not six!

She sat with a book open in her palms as she read each word, a smile broad across her face as the words of James Dashner filled her brain. She was so engrossed that she didn't even notice Sirius sit beside her, until he coughed. "Shit!" She exclaimed clutching her chest, "You made me jump!"

"Sorry." Sirius replied, "What are you doing?"

"Hiding from Lily and the others! Who need six hours to get ready?"

"I honestly don't know, I mean two hours is enough." Sirius mused.

"That's what I was thinking but even an hour would be sufficient." Madison nodded. The air around them was clogged with awkwardness but neither of them pressed the matter and focused on the conversation that was already in toll. "But, I s'pose if that's what people wanna do, it's their life. They do them, I do me."

Sirius chortled, covering his mouth slightly, "Sorry," He coughed, "But that sounded slightly wrong."

"It did, didn't it?" Madison sniggered, "I always make things sound so bad."

"Not always, but hey don't we all?" Sirius said, "Besides I would just like to congratulated you."

"Congratulate me?"

He picked up one of her hands and put it in front of her face, "You are not shaking. Thas'good."

"I guess.." She trailed off and looked in the opposite direction. "Listen I'm sorry about the other night, y'know in the common room."

"No, don't apologise, if anything we both sort of had equal parts in the matter, let's just leave it behind us. Yeah?"

The girl nodded and flipped another page in her book whilst Sirius whistled aimlessly. They sat in that position for hours, literally, until Madison got up. Sirius was in the midst of a zone out session and therefore didn't realise she had bid him goodbye and slipped away, heading back to the common room. 

She entered the dormitory to find it a mess and smelling of a mass of different fragrances. Make up brushes were strooned around and the only bare area of the room was her own bed. Steam still rolled out of the bathroom, clearly made by the girls' showering. "Maddie! Where have you been?!" Lily scolded from her place in front of a mirror dressed in her bathrobe.

"Reading." She squeaked under the girls stern glare.

"You will not be ready in time!"Mary cried.

"Who says I won't? Besides it's not like I wanna go, I din't have to out that much effort in. I already am, being put in a dress for heaven's sake." The girl rolled her eyes and collected her bathrobe before heading into the shower.

After a quick shower, cleansing her body and washing her hair. She had shaved the necessary areas and moisturised- her usual routine.  Maddie slipped on some underwear and her robe before placing her dirty clothes in a hamper. Her hair was wrapped in a towel and she took out the package she had received from her parents in the mail which contained her dress and some shoes.  She dried her hair using magic and brushed through her long locks, untangling it all. She applied some deodorant and got started on her hair.

She did a sort of twisted braid up- leaving a couple of strands down to frame her face before slipping in two gold stud earrings into her first and second holes in her right ear before putting another gold stud in just her second piercing in her left before putting her ear cuff that connect her first hole and helix piercing. She also clasped a necklace with her name around her neck, before looking at her dress, all the other girls were fully ready and admiring each other in delight. She took her package into the bathroom to change and she looked at the note.

'All to bring out your features making your eyes pop, sweetheart, have a grand time love Mam and Dad. x'

She pulled out a long acra, ruffled, chiffon dress. It was beautiful but she was till getting an uneasy, throw up sensation building in her stomach. Dresses were not her favourite item of clothing, and in all honesty they were uncomfortable. 'This is for Remus'. She told herself before swapping her robe for her dress. "AHH! I FEEL NUDE! MY LEGS! AHH! I NEED THIGH AND SHIN SUPPORT! NO! NO! NO!" She screamed, in discomfort, yet amused the girls in the dorm.

She then pulled out her shoes, and exclaimed, "IS MY MAM TRYING TO KILL ME? WHERE ARE THE LACES! THEY WILL SLIP OFF!"

Laughter yet again, echoed from the dorm which caused her to glare at the closed door...again. She rolled her eyes and huffed before slipping on the flats and exited the bathroom. All of the girls' mouths dropped open and the squealed at the sight of her. "MADISON! MERLIN'S BEARD!" Mary gasped.

"Don't even start!" She warned them, "I hate tonight already."

"B-but you look amazing! Remus will die at the sight of you....in a good way of course!"

"Gee, thanks Mary."

"Sorry, but honestly you do look gorgeous."

Alice nodded, "Do you want any make-up we have ten minutes until it starts?"

"I am in a dress, and had death causers on my feet, don't push it." Madison looked at her raising her eyebrows.

Lily giggled and wrapped her arms around her friend. "You'll be fine."