129

1 Year Later...

"I can't believe Harry is a year old already," Madison gushed over her godson. Harry was a bright and peppy baby, who loved to gurgle and play with his toy broomstick. Certainly takes after his father for sure, but the looks of disapproval he sends his godmother as she takes his toy away to annoy him on purpose would certainly prove that he was birthed by Lily. Her eyes were now his and a brighter green than ever.

"Time simply flies, Maddie, we learnt that at Hogwarts," Said Lily who jet attempting to flatten her sons hair but it was no use, it still stuck up in every which way.

"I know," Madison sighed, kissing Harry's cheek, "don't remind me about school. I'd give anything to be back there right now."

"Says the one who walked out without her N.E.W.Ts and graduating." Lily chuckled, "regretting that now, are we?"

"Oh Merlin no! I still stand by my decision, but I just miss the structure. I had something to do with my life and now, what? I'm twenty-one and still living with my parents, I'm jobless and eating my way through at least six bags of crisps a day."

"You're a great godmother, Maddie."

"I'm not really am I? I don't even work and I'm here less than Pad- Siri- you know. He's here whenever he has a spare minute-"

"That's because my husband is tied to his hip! Madison you're a great godmother and you'll be sorted soon enough. Some people just need a little more time. Hun, you doing just fine. You're parents love having you around all the time, my mum bumped into yours and she was saying how much having you a prude is fantastic."

"I should be helping you more. You in bloody hiding for fu-floop sake! There's so maniac trying to kill everyone and I'm sat eating food all day. At least you're being a good mum."

"Whine whine whine, Leo. Just listen to my missus and shut up. You're doing great. Now, when are you and my babe getting back together-"

"James!"

"Hush Lils, don't deafen Harry. I'm asking a reasonable question."

Madison bit her lip, fiddling with the cuff of her jumper. "We're not, Prongs, it's like this evening, I wanted the treat but I got the trick. It just wasn't meant to be no matter how much I wanted it. There was so much that was spiralling against us."

James shook his head and leaned his arms over her shoulders, "one day, I hope that you two rekindle your love. Or at least top each other's clothes off. You both my family and I'm not having it any other way. I love you both and it's so frustrating hearing him yap and yap and yap about you when it's so simple."

"It's not that simple, Hun. Anywho," she slapped her knees, "it's getting late, I better be going. Dad'll send for the police if I stay any longer. I love you both so much," she cuddled James tightly. James held Maddison close, she was his sister. There was no doubt about that and with all of the mania happening every minute counted. Did he want Madison going home alone? No, because even the apparation system was getting flaws and hijacked. Madison burrowed her head deep into his embrace and closed her eyes embedding the feeling and his smell in her mind.

"I love you, Leo," James stayed proudly and kissed her forehead, pulling away so that his wife to could hug her best friend goodbye.

It was just a precaution.

Lily handed Madison Harry who babbled in his godmother's arms, giggling happily and holding onto her clover necklace. "Hey, you, you behave for your mammy and daddy and I'll give you some extra big cuddles and love when I next see you which will be soon. I love you lots and lots and lots and lots." And kisses his cheeks and handed Harry to James just as Lily attacked her into a gigantic embrace.

There was no way you could deny that the three adults were on edge. Every last goodbye was meaningful just in case something happened to any of them and on the Halloween night they felt extra cold and worried. "Madison, I love you so much," said Lily cradling Madison's face in hers. "You are so strong and I can't thank you enough for being the best sister I have got. Petunia is nothing on you. You're are tremendous and I love you."

It was just a precaution.

"I love you to Lily, so much, and I will see you soon." Madison kissed Lily's cheek.

Madison then left the house and James had turned back to his wife and son when a knock on the door sounded only moments later. "Lily, take Harry upstairs."

"I'm sure it's just Maddie having forgotten something," said Lily.

"My love, please. We cannot risk it. I'll be right up. Take Harry and hide." James kissed his wife tenderly, and did the same to his infant son. Harry instantly could tell something was up. This happened every time the door was knocked on or the doorbell rang.

Lily sighed and nodded her head, "love you, James."

"I love you, Lily. And you Harry, my boy, I love you."

It was just a precaution.

Lily hurried off up the stairs and into the nursery, she placed Harry into his cot to bring him some sense of comfort. She knelt down before him and whispered some loving and deeply from the heart words. "Mumma loves you. Dadda loves you. Be strong Harry..."

Downstairs, James already knew what was about to happen. The knocks sounded again and he knew it definitely was not Madison. Not at all. She would have shouted through the letterbox by now and he would have had to have scolded her for the profanities that would tumble from her lips that Harry would most likely hear from the nursery.

He reached into his pocket for his wand. The pocket was as empty as a long forgotten house. Taking a deep breath, he balled his fists up right prepared to strike anyone who came at him. He knew that his bare knuckles would be no match to a wand that beheld powerful magic and was capable of dark, menacing tasks. The door burst open, nearly flying off of its hundred and a tall dark figure stood in its space.

"Potter..." the cloaked figure seethed, their voice rather hoarse.

James raised his fist, it hurtling towards the figure but he was too late and not as powerful. A bright green light sliced into his chest and he fell backwards. His heart stopped and he landed on his back, half on the stairs. His eyes a shadow of their past, masked with nothingness.

The figure had no remorse. Trampling over James' body, it descended the stairs and straight for the nursery. Lily head the footsteps, she had heard the thud. Her chest dropped and her eyes wanted so badly to spill over with tears knowing that her husband was dead. Cold. Dead. It was just a precaution...

Lily stood up, her wand was held in her palm and she embraced all of her pain and heartbreak and fused that into protecting her son. She wanted nothing more than to make sure that Harry went unharmed and lived to see the rest of his life. The figure arrived and Lily was bold and sternly waiting.

Both arms raised, wand to wand. But Lily's disarming charm was nothing for the most unforgivable curse... "Avada Kedavra!"

An ear piercing scream, she dropped.

James and Lily Potter were no more and it was all just a precaution.