35

The third task of the tri-wizard tournament was cancelled, however the other schools were going to stay at Hogwarts for the rest of the year. Despite, whether students knew Mattei Johnson personally or, like Madison, Sirius, Remus, etc, had issues with him, everyone was affected by his death. The great hall was dark and sombre at the feast, the following evening, Dumbledore sat at his chair, debating with himself if the students should know how Mattei died.

Madison was sat between Remus and Lily, both of which were letting her clutch onto them tightly. She hadn't eaten at breakfast nor lunch, and definitely didn't sleep. Having been used to not sleeping, Remus sat up in his dormitory the whole night, letting Madison cry into his chest until her eyes were bone dry. It took everything for her friends to even get water down her throat.

Dumbledore stood up, causing all eyes to be on him. "The ministry do not wish for me to tell you anything on the matter of what has happened here, in the second task of the tournament. I, however, believe you have the right to know. Mattei Johnson, was a bright student, popular, as well. He may have had his issues, but he was a kind boy to everyone." Dumbledore said.

"Mattei Johnson, among, Madison Parker and Daniel Caniff, were faced with a horrible, horrible task, that neither one of us headteachers knew what was. The ministry decided they wanted it to be a surprise to all of us. When really they wanted those brave students to work out for themselves what to do, and how to face such a dreadful task. We were told when signing up for this tournament that the tasks were not very dangerous and even first years could get past them. However, this was not the case."

Madison tensed in her seat, and Remus wrapped his arm tighter around her, "The three students had a possession of theirs taken from them and placed in the middle of a snake pit. The pit was full of thousands of snakes, not just any snakes either, Inland Taipan. Those snakes can kill within one bite. I have also recently been informed that the curriculum in Beauxbatons Academy was made so that seventh years learn the summoning charm, accio, which was the charm both Madison and Daniel used, having been taught this already. Therefore Mr. Johnson had no other way of receiving his possession but by entering the pit. It was not his fault, nor his schools, nor the fellow champions. By the time Miss Parker and Mr Caniff realised what Mr Johnson was doing it was to late, the snakes had began to bite him."

Sirius glanced at the brunette girl, his eyes filed with sadness. No one deserved to have witnessed what she and Daniel had witnessed. "We must, however, remember the bravery that Madison and Daniel had, they didn't care about finishing first, they raced to help Mattei, although they thought it was not going to help much. Yet, it did. They stunned as many Inlad Taipans as they could before pulling Mattei from the pit and getting him back to his parents. And for that, his parents are forever grateful.

Us three headteachers have also discussed the prize for this tournament, with Mattei's parents as well, the ministry had no say in this decision. The one hundred thousand galleons will be split three ways. A third will go to Daniel, a third will go to Madison, and the other third will go to Mattei's family. There will also be three trophies with all three of their names on each, their will be one displayed in each school. As all three of them have been announced the winners of the tournament.

Now, even though we may not speak the same tongue. We all shall remember Mattei Johnson, now join me all with a toast to Mattei Johnson!"

"Mattei Johnson!" The room cried, Madison's head fell into Remus' chest once more as the food appeared on the table. The hall filled with all of the schools colours.

Remus took some mashed potatoes and put some on Madison's plate and he also put some on his. He took Madison's spoon and scooped some up and whispered in her ear. "Come on Maddie, you need to eat. It's mashed potato your favourite. Please eat, Mattei wouldn't want you not eating."

"I can't." She mumbled. "It hurts, swallowing."

"I know. It will, your throat is dry, and need food and drink." Remus soothed. Madison nodded and shakily took the spoon from his hand, and took the mashed potato in her mouth. She swallowed it but it was clearly a struggled. Remus ate some of his potato before making sure Maddie was eating as well. After a few mouthfuls Madison couldn't bring herself to eat anymore. Remus let her stop before finishing his food. "Does that feel better?"

Madison nodded, "Can we hurry up and go to bed now?"

"I think the feast is nearly over, then you can go to bed."James said from opposite her. Lily hugged Madison and covered her ears as James spoke to Remus. "I'll stay up with her tonight. You sleep, mate."

"No, it's okay." Remus waved him off.

"I insist." James stated, not taking no for an answer.

The feast was over and Madison spotted, Ansel, Theodore, and Gabriel. She let go of Lily and ran towards them. "I'm sorry, boys. I should have noticed what he was doing earlier."

Gabriel grabbed hold of the girl, "Don't beat yourself up about et. Madizon, you got 'im out ez z'all zat matters."

"He's ez right, ve know you tried, and ve are very, very grateful for zat. You and Daniel, you are heroes." Theodore nodded.

"I wouldn't say we were heroes." Madison replied.

"But you are exactly zat." Said, Ansel, "However, ve must be going. Goodnight, Madizon."

Madison weakly smiled at the french boys and returned to Lily, walking to the Gryffindor common room. "Come on then, missus, let's get you in your pyjamas and to the boys." She tugged out Maddie's unicorn onesie and handed it to her letting the girl change in peace. She also gave her, her gryffindor blanket. The girls all hugged her goodnight, Lily even kissing her forehead, before escorting her up to the boys' dorm to make sure she was okay. James took her from the redhead, smiling gratefully at her. He knew it wasn't the best time to flirt with Evans. he guided Madison to his bed and climbed in, pulling her closer so she snuggled into his chest.

"Thank you." She mumbled.

"Don't even worry about it, Maddie, you've lost a friend of yours and need time to grieve." He kissed her forehead.

"You know, take me back to a year ago, I was scared of you James, but really I was just intimidated by you."

"Where'd that come from?"

"I don't know."She sighed.

"Get some sleep, you need it." James whispered and pulled her even closer. cuddling her and her blanket, even her unicorn horn.