Tony Stark x Reader

You stand in the doorway and watch him for a second. He sits on his bed, his head in his hands.
You know he isn't going to tell you what had him messed up this time, but that isn't going to stop you from trying.
"Hey, honey." You say.
He lifts his head and looks at you. It takes a moment for him to snap back to reality and focus on you. "Oh, hey." He stands up. "What're you doing here?"
"Came to check on you."
"Oh, I'm fine. Just fine."
"Yeah." You agree as he walks towards you. "I can tell."
"And how are you?"
"I'm okay."
"Only okay? Let's talk about that."
"Only if you talk to me."
"There's nothing to talk about."
"Why don't you call Steve?"
"Because he hates me." He walks past you.
You roll your eyes and follow. "You sound like a three year old, Tony." You sigh.
"You of all people should know that I'm nothing more than just that."
"Shut up."
"You should have stopped me." He turns around to you. "Why didn't you tell me I was screwing up?"
"Because you weren't."
"Obviously I did!"
"I don't think you did. I think you did what was right."
"I don't. Why did you stay behind me?" He demands.
"Because I agreed with you. I thought about it, Tony. I didn't just follow blindly."
"Am I really as big of an asshole as everyone thinks?"
"What? Who says that?"
"Cap. Clint. Nat. Sam. Wanda. Probably Rhodey. Whoever the heck Antman is. Charles Spencer's mother. Shall I continue?"
"Okay, Rhodey doesn't, and you know that. Steve can't be talking, considering how he's been acting. Clint and Natasha are just upset, they'll be fine. You know Sam doesn't stay angry long. Wanda'll be okay. Scott Lang and the boy's mother don't even know you. What did they say to you?"
He doesn't say anything, just keeps walking.
"Tony!"
He keeps walking.
"Don't you walk away from me. Tony Stark!" You snap, following him. "What did they say to you?" You grab his hand and turn him around. "Tell me."
"Nothing, Y/N. Are you staying for dinner? Do you want to go out?"
"Anthony Stark."
"She said I killed her son. Which, of course, I did, and that was warranted. And apparently I don't do much talking with my conscience these days." He says. "Am I an asshole, Y/N? Am I really that bad?"
"No, you aren't." You say. "Lang doesn't know shit about you. I, for one, realize that your conscience is the cause of most all of your suffering. As for Spencer, that's called collateral damage and it's unavoidable. It probably wasn't even you that caused it."
You could kick some asses right about now. And you have two very good ideas of who.
"Bullshit."
"You watch your language."
"You're one to talk."
"Wait here, Tony. I'll be back."
"Y/N? Where are you going?" He calls as you march down the hall.
First stop: Charles Spencer's momma.
You knock on the door, and a nice looking lady answers. "Hello?"
"Hi." You reply.
"May I help you?"
"Yes, I believe so." You smile.
"I'm sorry, but do I know you?"
"No. But you know my boyfriend."
"Who is he?"
"Tony Stark."
Her smile fades. "Okay, and?"
"He's kind of, you know, fucked up right now. He's had a rough few days. It's funny. See, I just left his house, and he's under the impression that he's now a murderer."
"What do you want me to do?"
"I want you to apologize."
"What?"
"Yes. I want you to apologize for hurting him. He doesn't deserve this. He saved your ass, you know. He flew a nuke into space so you wouldn't die. And don't even get me started on--"
"If I apologize, will you leave?"
"Yes, very gladly."
You sit there while she calls him.
"Hello? Yes. You remember me?... Oh. Well, I was calling to apologize for what I said. I was wrong... Y/N?" She looks at you.
You shake your head.
"No, I don't know who that is. I just felt bad." She says. "No. I realize that it wasn't your fault, and I'm very sorry... Yes, goodbye." She hangs up the phone.
"Thank you." You say, showing yourself out. "You're a good lady."
Next stop: Scott fucking Lang.
You knock on the door, and he answers. "Oh. Uh, Hey. Can I help you?"
"Do you want me to punch you?"
"Not particularly."
"Then you're going to apologize to Tony."
"What?"
"I don't know what you said to him, but I'm not dealing with his shit. You're going to take back whatever you said."
"And if I don't?"
"Then I'll beat the daylights out of you."
"Where are you from?" He cocks an eyebrow.
"Pick up the phone before I knock your lights out."
"I didn't say anything."
"Then why does he think he's a conscienceless asshole?"
"Ohh." He says, realization dawning.
"Pick up the phone and fix him."
"I can't fix his insecurities."
"Call him."
You wait [im]patiently while he calls.
"Hey, it's Scott... Ant Man?... Yeah. Me. Um, look. I wanted to apologize for what I said... Y/N? No. Haven't seen any of them since all that... That whole conscience thing? Yeah, that... Okay. Well, sorry, man. See you."
"Thank you." You say, and walk out.
Last stop: Self-righteous Captain America. You'd thought of him while waiting for the other two to finish their calls.
"Y/N?" He asks when he opens the door.
"Steve! Hey. Come with me." You grab his arm and pull him out.
"Why do I feel like I'm being kidnapped?" He says as you shove him in your car.
"You kind of are. Only a bit, though."
"What's going on?"
"I read that cowardly letter you sent Tony, and I must say, I'm not too pleased with it."
"Y/N--"
"No. You literally said 'I'm sorry you don't agree with me, because I'm right' and it pisses me off. I can make a whole damn list of reasons Tony's right. Shall I?"
"No, that won't be necessary. What are you wanting me to do, Y/N?"
"You and Tony are going to make up."
"Are you mad at me?" He asks.
"No. Nobody's mad."
You pull him into Tony's place. "Tony! Get your happy hiney down here." You yell.
He comes down the stairs. "Hey, baby. Look, I'm sorry about--What is this?" He cuts off when he sees Steve.
"Hey, Stark." Steve says.
"Cap." Tony nods.
It's very awkward.
"I'm walking out of the room." You state, and do so.
A few minutes later, Steve yells. "See you, Y/N!" and Tony comes in.
"Hey." You say, looking up from your book.
"Hey." Tony sits beside you.
"Feeling better?"
"I dunno. A little."
"Good."
"I know you were behind all that."
You shrug.
"You really did all that for me?"
"Yes."
"Even though you hate confrontation?"
"Yes."
"Would you look at that. You love me."
"Shut up."
"I guess if you say I'm fine I'm fine, right? You would tell me if I was a jerk?"
"You betcha."
"I'm sorry."
"It's all right." You put your book down and kiss his cheek. "I love you."
"You too." He smiles. "So, as I was saying. How about dinner? You wanna stay here tonight?"