Bucky Barnes x Reader

You walk out onto your front porch with Steve and watch as he walks down the steps.
"Steve, let me drive you." You say for what has to be the millionth time.
"I'm just going down the block. I'll see you tonight." He waves and keeps walking.
You start to go inside when your neighbor starts talking. "Thought you had a boyfriend." He laughs.
You turn and smile, half genuinely, have I'm-already-done-with-this-conversation. "I do."
"Then who's that scrawny ass kid?"
"Brother-in-law."
"Oh, you're married now?"
You laugh. "Not yet."
"Who's the kid?"
"Bucky's friend. Steve. He always stays with me when Bucky's deployed."
Your neighbor nods. "I see. When's he due back?"
"This evening."
"Good!" He smiles, and you go inside.

You walk with Steve into the train station. A man sitting on a bench stands to offer his seat, and you smile the gracious smile your mother taught you and sit, thanking him. Steve stands behind you, putting his hands on your shoulders and massaging them.
When you hear the train coming, you stand. You watch as the soldiers file out. Women fling themselves into their arms, fathers hug them.
Someone taps your shoulder, and you turn to see Bucky. You fling your arms around him. "Bucky!" You cry excitedly.
"Hey, darling." He grins, kissing your cheek.
You smile and let him go. He and Steve hug, and then Bucky puts his arm around you, leading the two of you out. "I'm starving." He says. "Let's get something to eat."

You wake up that night to Bucky shouting, tossing and turning. You hear someone shooting fireworks off down the street.
He rolls off the bed when you wake him up. You look over the side of the bed to see him ducking and covering.
"Bucky." You say gently, and he looks up. "Come here, Bucky." You say quietly, and he gets back on the bed.
He sits with his back against the headboard, staring straight ahead, chest heaving.
You look at him, neither moving nor making a sound, shaking anxiously.
"I-I'm s-suh-sorry." He stammers, then clears his throat. "I'm sorry. I'll go sleep in the living room..."
"No, Bucky. Stay here."
"I can't do this to you." He turns to look at you. "We need to break up. I'm fucked up right now–I'll be okay, don't worry about me, babe. But you deserve someone who can take care of you, not someone you'll have to take care of."
"No, Bucky–"
"I thought I'd be fine–I thought I'd be fine with you. But the bed's too soft and the food's too good and I shouldn't be alive right now. I should be dead. I don't deserve–"
"Bucky."
He cuts off and looks at you. "Y-Yeah?"
"I love you. Please don't leave me. Let me be here for you."
"You don't deserve do deal with this."
"Neither do you." You put your hand over his.
"Johnson died the day before we were leaving." He says softly, looking down at your hands. "He had a wife and kid. It was supposed to be my watch but he let me sleep since I'd been up all night the night before. And then... Now he's dead. It should have been me, Y/N." He looks up at you.
"That wasn't your fault, baby. It was his decision. He died a hero. From what you've said about him, that's what he would have wanted."
"He shouldn't have died at all."
"I know, Bucky." You put your arm around his shoulders and kiss his head. "I know."
He kisses you before standing and going to the closet, pulling a blanket out.
"What are you doing, Bucky?"
"Sleeping." He says as he lays down beside the bed and covers himself with the blanket. "Goodnight, toots."
You climb over the side of the bed and accidentally step on his foot while going to lay beside him.
"What are you doing?" He asks.
"Sleeping. Goodnight, Bucky." You scoot up against him, laying your head on his arm. "I love you."
He kisses your head. "I love you too, darling."