Bucky Barnes x Reader

Somebody knocks on your door, and you know it's Bucky but that doesn't stop you from praying it isn't. Nevertheless, you go to open it. Bucky tips his hat and winks with that charming smile of his. "Hey, doll."
"Hey, Buck." You force a smile.
"Are you gonna invite me in, or...?"
"Or." You give a smile, but step back.
He laughs and comes in. "Where've you been? I haven't heard from you in a while." He reaches out and brushes your hair back, leaving his hand on your cheek.
You shrug, dropping your gaze. "I know you've been busy, that's all."
"I'm never too busy for my best girl." He smiles.
"Right." You try to smile, and apparently he buys it. Your grandmother always said men are oblivious to everything unless they want to see it, and Bucky's done nothing except prove her right.
"So, are we alone here?" He drops his hand from your face and hooks his thumbs in the waist of his pants.
"Yeah, but Granny'll be home in a little while."
"So we have time."
"Time for what?" You look up at him.
"This." He cups your cheek in his hand and leans his head down to kiss you.
You know you shouldn't, but you reciprocate anyways. "Bucky, we—"
"C'mon, doll. It's the twentieth century. Times are changing." He pulls back to give you a grin. "We'll be married when I come back, anyways. Nobody has to know."
"Bucky—"
"I know, I know. I need to go to church, blah blah blah. I hear you. I suppose I can't stop you from wanting to be pious anyway." He smiles. "But I don't think it's a sin to give a man something to look forward to."
"Bucky—"
"Okay. Message received." He removes his hand from your cheek and steps back to a respectable distance.
"No, Bucky. That's not it."
His smile drops. "What's wrong?"
Now he was getting it. "We... can't keep doing this."
"Do you wanna go out instead then? Sorry I came without warning. I can come back when Granny's home—"
Or maybe not. "Bucky."
He stops talking and waits for you to finish.
"We need to stop seeing each other."
His smile drops from a nervous smile to no smile at all. "What? Why?"
"We just... do." Your eyes are burning, but you're determined not to cry, at least not in front of him.
"Okay. Well... can I ask why?"
"No. Just... I'm sorry."
His eyes scan your face before he drops them to his hands. "Okay. Well... I... I should go."
You nod.
"Will I... Will I see you before I leave?"
It's your turn to drop your gaze. "I don't know."
"I'd like to. If you...uh, if you don't mind." He clears his throat. "Bye, Y/N."
"Bye, Bucky." You say softly.
You don't move until he shuts the door, and then you sit down where you are and cry.
When Granny comes home, you don't mention what had happened with Bucky until you start crying for the third time and she pries it out of you.
"Why on earth would you do that?" She asks when you finish telling her. She makes no move to comfort you.
"I don't know. I just..."
"That won't make it any less painful if he doesn't come home."
You cry harder. "I know, Granny. I just—"
"If I'd called it off with your grandfather when he went to war, you wouldn't be here." She says cooly.
"I wish I wasn't." You're sobbing now, and she finally comes and sits beside you, putting an arm around you.
"I know, darling. It's hard, and it's frightening. But you love him, and he loves you. And doing this will only make it hurt worse if he doesn't come back."
"I'm so scared, Granny." You turn your head to look at her.
"I know. But there's nothing you can do about that. But you can't let him go to war like this. Go over there. When does he leave?"
"Two days."
She grabs a newspaper off the table and hits you with it. "I can't believe I've raised such a callous child! Now march over there and beg forgiveness and give that poor man something to come home to."
"I'm not all he has, Granny. He'll be fine."
"Are you testing me, child?"
"No ma'am." You sigh.
"I thought you loved him." She sets the newspaper down.
"I do, Granny. I just..."
"That was selfish of you. Go tell him the truth. Unless you don't love him. Then lie until the war's over."
"I do love him."
"Then go take him back."
"He won't have me. He's too prideful."
"If you don't go, I'll go. You don't want that."
You manage a laugh. "No. No, I really don't."
"Then stop this blubbering and go."
So you go to Bucky's house. You knock, but it takes more than a second for the door to be answered, so you knock again.
Mrs. Barnes opens the door. "Oh, hello, Y/N. Bucky's over at Steve's. I'll tell him you came by."
"Is he really at Steve's, or did he tell you to tell me that?"
"Why would he do that? Of course he's at Steve's. Is everything okay?"
"Yes ma'am. Thank you, I'll go to Steve's."
Of course he hadn't told anybody. You should have known.
You catch a ride with the bread man, so you get there faster than you'd intended, therefore only being able to rethink what you plan to say three times instead of ten.
You knock on Steve's door, and Steve answers. "Hey, Y/N."
"Hey, Steve. Is Bucky here?"
"No."
"Yes he is. I need to speak to him. It's urgent."
"He's not—"
"Hey." Bucky comes into view behind Steve.
"May I come in now?" You ask Steve.
Steve moves away from the door and goes into another room.
You shut the door and come in. "Bucky—"
"You don't have to explain." He shrugs. "It's fine."
"No, I do—"
"No you don't. I get it." He puts his hands into his pockets. He leans against the wall, trying to seem casual. "I get it, Y/N. It's fine. You don't have to explain or feel guilty or whatever it is you came here to do. It's fine."
"Does that mean I can't take it back?" You bite the inside of your cheeks and look up at him.
"Why would you do that?" He sounds surprised, but his face is expressionless.
"I'm sorry, Bucky. I didn't mean it, and I wasn't thinking, and I'm sorry if I've caused you pain—"
"Caused me pain? No." His voice is dripping with sarcasm. "No, it didn't cause me any pain to have lost the affection of the love of my life—"
"I never said I don't love you. I understand if you're angry, I really do. But I'm so sorry. I made a grave mistake. Can you forgive me?"
"You still haven't said why you did it. If it's for a good reason, I won't let you take me back just because I'm being deployed." He looks at you, still stoic.
"It wasn't."
"Then why, Y/N?"
"There wasn't any good reason—"
"There must have been at least a bad reason."
"I was being selfish. And I apologize. I'm so very sorry, Bucky. I do love you. If you'll forgive me, I'd really like to pretend none of this happened."
"How am I supposed to do that?"
"I know. I'm sorry." You drop your gaze again. "If you'd still like, I'd still like to see you before you leave. But I'll go now."
Bucky doesn't even say anything as you walk out the door, so you close it behind you and walk down the street. If you went behind Steve's house, you would get home quicker, but you have no desire to go home to Granny's condemnation, so you take the longer way.
"Y/N." Bucky's voice calls from behind you.
You're crying, so you don't want to turn around, but you do it anyways. You turn to see him running towards you. You stand still and drop your gaze. You can't stand to see his expressionless face another moment.
You hear him as he gets closer, so you look up, knowing you can't avoid looking any longer.
Moments after you've lifted your eyes, Bucky takes your face in his hands and kisses you. "I love you." He says breathlessly. "I love you, and I'm sorry. Please take me back. I love you." He keeps his hands on your face, probably so you can't look away. His eyes are locked on yours, though, so you couldn't even if you wanted to. "Please."
"Give me one reason why I should, you jackass." You shove him.
"Well, would you look at that! Mark the calendar! So much for piety."
You shove him again. "You're a jerk and I hate you."
"You love me." He grins, kissing you again.
"Stop it." You shove him again, but you're smiling.
"You know you love it." He takes your hands in his and brings them up to his lips. "I love you."
"I know." You smirk.
You both know the neighbors are probably watching, so he kisses you again, and you push him away.
"You can't honestly care what they think." He says.
"Easy for you to say. You're a big bad soldier, they expect it from you. I'm a sweet innocent—"
"My ass you are."
"Bucky!"
"Sorry, would you rather I whisper?" He says in a stage whisper.
You shove him again.
"Come back to Steve's." He brings his hand up to your face again.
"I can't, Granny'll be waiting to hear how it went. Besides, it's nearly dark, so I should be getting home—"
"You're with me. You'll be safe."
"I know, but—"
"Come to Steve's." He kisses you again. "Please. I want to spend time with you before I leave."
"Bucky, I love you." Your eyes sting as they well with tears.
"I love you too. Why won't you kiss me?"
"People talk." You aim for a smile.
"What're you scared of? That Granny'll hear?" He smirks, but lets it fall when you start crying. "What's wrong, doll?"
You stand on your toes and kiss him.
He raises his eyebrows. "Well, don't I feel special. A public act of impropriety—"
"Would you stop being a smart ass for minute?"
"Okay. I'll be serious. What's wrong?"
"Nothing. I love you." You wrap your arms around his neck, squeezing your eyes closed against tears.
He wraps his arms around you, lifting you up off the ground. "I love you too. You act like you'll never see me again."
"And what if I don't?" Your voice cracks, and you don't bother making an effort to conceal it.
"You will." He sets you down. "I promise."
"You can't promise that." You look up at him.
"I'll go kick some Nazi ass and I'll be home before you know I'm gone."
"How can I not know you're gone if I have even a moment of silence?"
He laughs. "You know, if strangers heard the way you spoke to me, they'd have no idea you actually cared for me."
You're still crying, but you add a laugh on top.
"Come with me to Steve's. I'll take you home later tonight."
"I really shouldn't."
"But...?"
"But I will." You laugh.
"That's what I thought. Shall we?" He offers his arm.
You take it. "We shall."