Bucky Barnes x Reader

You open your eyes to darkness. When you'd fallen asleep, Bucky had had an arm around you, but now there was just cold where his warmth had been. You aren't sure if that's what woke you, or if it was because you have to pee. You sit up and look back to the bed, but Bucky isn't even in it. You reach over yo the chair beside the bed, feeling around for the jacket you'd laid there. Your wandering hands find Bucky's shirt, so you slide it on. It would do. It's cold.
You get up and stumble through the darkness until you reach the bathroom door and step onto the cool tile. You pull the curtain back to look out the window, squinting through the darkness to see if Bucky's car is still there. It is, so you assume he's gone to the kitchen for something.
You start to head back to bed, but then decide to check on him.
"Bucky?" You ask quietly as you open the bedroom door and stick your head into the hallway.
There's no answer, but there are noises coming from the living room, so that's where you go.
You had left a lamp on in there, but it's off now, and Bucky's asleep on the couch. He was tossing and turning, making a noise that was somewhere between a moan and a scream.
You go over, bending down and putting your hand on his arm and shaking him. There are beads of sweat on him, and his hair is plastered to his forehead.
"Bucky." You say, shaking again.
"No!" He yells. He sits bolt upright, nearly knocking you over in the process.
"Bucky."
It takes him a minute to readjust to reality. He sits there gasping, his eyes jumping around the room before landing on you. A look of terror comes onto his face before he looks like he recognizes you.
"Y/N." He says quietly. "Did I wake you up? I'm sorry..."
"You didn't."
"That's my shirt." He's actively avoiding the inevitable conversation, and you both know it.
"Yeah."
"I... uh... I was going to leave, but I didn't want you to wake up in the morning and not know where I was."
"Why'd you come out here?"
"I... I didn't want to wake you up."
"Come back to bed, baby." You say quietly, reaching up and running a hand through your hair.
"I might should stay out here."
"Do you want to shower?"
"Yeah. Probably should."
"Go shower, and then we can make sleeping arrangements."
He nods and stands. "Doll?"
"Yeah, Bucky?"
"Sorry for waking you."
"You didn't."
He kisses your cheek and goes to the bathroom. You hear the water turn on and sit down to wait.
Bucky comes back out as the numbers on the microwave clock move from 3:59 to 4:00. A triangle of light floods out into the hallway, then he turns out the light, and it's dark again. He trips through the darkness back to the couch. "Go back to bed." He says quietly as he takes a seat beside you.
"Are you coming?"
"I might should stay out here."
"Are you sure?"
"Yeah. I don't feel much like sleeping anymore. I might watch a movie or read a book or something."
"All right, what do you wanna watch?"
"I'm not picky."
You take the remote from the coffee table and hand it to him. You lean back into the couch.
"What are you doing?"
"I'm watching something with you."
"You don't have to. I know you're tired."
"So are you."
He shrugs.
You look over at him as he stares at the tv.
"Don't look at me like that." He says quietly.
"Like what?"
"With pity."
"It's not pity. It's... respect."
His eyebrows are raised as he turns to look at you. "What?"
"I said respect."
"It's not about the war or the experiments. It's about me brutally murdering people in cold blood."
"That wasn't you, Bucky--"
"I remember it. I remember their names, and their faces, and how they'd plead for me to leave them or their family alone, not to kill them. But I didn't care."
"Obviously you did."
"But I killed them anyway. I couldn't.... You should get some rest, Y/N." He leans over and kisses your cheek.
"Bucky--"
"Don't. Goodnight."
"Are you going to sleep?"
"No. Not tonight."
"Come lay down with me."
"I probably should go."
"With me, yes." You grab his hand and stand.
He looks up at you, expressionless. "Why do you do this?"
"Do what?"
"You treat me like I don't kill people in cold blood."
"Are you familiar with John Brown?"
"The... abolitionist?"
"Yes. The guy who snuck into peoples' houses in the middle of the night, dragged them outside and cut them up with swords?"
"Why did he do that?"
"Because they didn't agree with him. He wasn't brain washed."
"What's your point?"
"There are worse people than you out there, Bucky."
"At least he was fighting for a good cause. I killed just because I was told to."
"But it wasn't you."
"Yes it was, Y/N. I remember every bloody, gory detail. It was definitely me."
"Let's go to bed."
"Why are you trying to fix me?"
"I'm not, I'm trying to get you to come to bed."
"How can you sleep peacefully knowing there's a merciless killer in bed beside you?"
"You are more than that, you know."
"Excuse me?"
"You're more than a killer. You're a soldier. You're a friend, a lover."
"And what about John Brown?"
"He was too. But he looks like the kind of guy who would sneak into your house in the middle of the night and hack you apart. You look significantly better than him."
"Could you sleep with him?" He gives a little smile.
"I could not. As I said, he looks like the kind of guy who would hack you to pieces in the middle of the night."
"Aren't the scariest ones the ones who look like everybody else?"
"You have a metal arm, you don't look like everybody else. Not scary. Are we done yet?"
"I love you." He kisses your hand.
"I love you too. Let's go to bed, I'm cold."
"I'll be there in a minute."
"Bucky."
"I'm just going to lock the doors." He stands and gives you a smirk. "I'm gonna need my shirt back."
"Now?"
"Now."
You take it off and throw it in his face before turning and going back into your room.
You change into long sleeves, and you're just getting into bed when Bucky comes in.
"Y/N?" He asks, crawling under the covers beside you and wrapping his arms around you, pulling you close.
"Yeah, babe?"
"I'm incredibly lucky to have you around."
"Yes you are."