September 15, 1935

Dear Diary,

False alarm... HE CALLED.

Okay, sorry about the overwhelming introduction just there. But I'm legitimately so relieved right now.

I can't even begin to explain it.

I'll just lay out the whole conversation then...

—————

I answered the telephone groggily on the third ring with "hello?" It was six in the morning, how else was I going to answer it?

The man on the other side said "hey there, Stevie," and I immediately knew it was Bucky and nearly jolted awake.

"Bucky?" I asked somewhat calmly, but internally I was losing my mind.

"Who the hell is Bucky? This is John," he said.

I just laughed straight into the phone. "How ya doin' Buck?"

"Not bad, for not having seen you for over a month."

"Actually, that's your fault mister John, sir," I pointed out in a joking manner.

"How's it my fault?" He asked.

"Uh, hello? You said you would call me like a month ago."

"I believe my words were 'you'll call me?' and you said 'okay' and that was that, I walked home and it was good."

"I think there's some sort of miscommunication here..." I mentioned.

"Yea... probably. Here, lemme make it up to you," he suggested.

"How ya gonna do that?" I questioned curiously.

"Can you sneak outta your house at midnight tonight? It is Friday after all..." he asked.

"Uhm yea, I think I can. I'll meet you in the tree in front of the window?"

"Sounds like a plan... and boy do I have the night of your life planned for ya," he chuckled in satisfaction. "See ya then."

"Okay, see ya," and I hung up.

My mind began to wander. What on Earth could he be planning?

—————

The clock struck 11:57 and my mom had gone to bed at least three hours previous. Time to get going.

I opened the window and stuck my head out. I didn't see or hear anyone so I climbed out. I clung to the siding of the building as well as the tree on my left. I swung into the tree and sat there to wait.

He snuck up on me, "Hey Stevie," he whispered in my ear. He must have already been in the tree when I did because there's no way I wouldn't have seen him.

I jumped out of my seat and nearly fell out of the tree. "Hey Buck," I replied, facing him.

Our faces were an inch apart. I couldn't really see him, other than the light reflecting from the full moon off his bright blue eyes. I took a deep breath in, taking in our proximity and remembering what happened only a few months ago that he seems to have opted to forget entirely about.

"Ready?" He asked.

"Yep... lets go," I answered quietly.

We got down from the tree and started walking. It felt like hours had passed between all that had gone down. His and my hand kept touching accidentally while we walked and I couldn't help but notice all the little glances we shared. "How long 'til we get there, Bucky?"