April 22, 1944

Dear Diary,

Today, Colonel Phillips told me and my men that there is a foe out there unlike anything we've ever seen... or, on the more likely side of it all, it's the same foe. The only difference between The Red Skull then and now is that he has adapted to our retaliation.

He seeks more power, if that even exists beyond what he already has. This is a threat past anything we ever saw coming. Yes, we knew before that Hitler was relentless and that his 'Nazi deep science division', Hydra, was even more ruthless than he was known to be himself... but, apparently, we don't even know the half of it. It seems to us that Johann Schmidt plans to somehow overthrow Hitler in the sense that his name will be the one to be truly remembered.

This 'bad guy' has some sort of weapon that we can't even begin to imagine with our current technology. Apparently some of the men from the 107th infantry saw it and even used it that one night I was there to rescue them all... though, that's all the hard evidence we have.

The Colonel was left utterly speechless after explaining to me in detail what he and Howard had uncovered upon delving deeper into the little bits and pieces of what they knew.

I really didn't even know what he wanted me to say. From what he told me, I gathered that we stand no chance. I mean, there really is no way for us to beat someone who is so technologically and scientifically ahead of us. It's like they're a whole century into the future, comparatively.

He described and detailed weapons formulated upon the idea of a photon, which is something that doesn't even seem feasible. A blue beam of light energy being able to make someone collapse into themself with such force that there might be nothing whatsoever left behind? At least that's what Howard told me 'a photon' meant in this sense.

That's just flat out scary.

If this is all true, and there really is something out there like that, I don't know if there's even a point in trying anymore.

~ S.R.