September 5, 2014

Dear Diary,

It's been a while since everything happened. Sam and I are sort of living together right now in D.C. until I get clearance to head back to New York.

At this point, Natasha practically lives there too. She and I share that guest room we were in during the whole Project: Insight thing back in July.

She says we need to lay low for now, make sure the government doesn't get any more reasons than those they already have to arrest us and lock us down for good.

The thing is, I don't know how long I can do that.

—————

Sam and I went to Nick Fury's grave this morning. At S.H.I.E.L.D., he's considered 'missing'. He 'ran way', supposedly.

No one knows why, but we figure that if he's gonna show up, which, he's bound to, this is where he'll be.

It just so happened that today was the very day he chose to come visit.

"So, you've experienced this sort of thing before," he said, walking up behind us.

He was planning to pretend he was dead- I see it now!

"You get used to it," I replied, knowing full well he was talking about my 66 year disappearing act and sudden resurrection.

"We've been data mining HYDRA's files," he announced. "Looks like a lot of rats didn't go down with the ship. I'm headed to Europe tonight. Wanted to ask if you'd come."

"There's something I gotta do first," I relayed.

"How about you, Wilson?" He asked. "Could use a man with your abilities."

"I'm more of a soldier than a spy," Sam replied.

"All right, then," Fury sounded a little disappointed. He shook Sam's hand, then mine. "Anybody asks for me, tell them they can find me right here," he pointed to his grave.

"You should be honored," Natasha said, walking up. "That's about as close as he gets to saying thank you."

I walked over to her. "Not going with him?"

"No," she answered.

"Not staying here?"

"Nah...I blew all my covers," she explained. "I gotta go figure out a new one."

"That might take a while," I responded.

"I'm counting on it," she smiled.

"That thing you asked for," she started, pulling a file from her side. "I called in a few favors from Kiev." She handed it to me; I took it.

This was Bucky's file.

"Will you do me a favor?" she asked. I looked at her. "Call that nurse."

I smirked. "She's not a nurse," I said, talking about Sharon.

"And you're not a S.H.I.E.L.D. Agent."

I needed to play dumb with all this, right? "What's her name again?" I asked.

"Sharon," she told me. "She's nice."

Sure, but she's not him. And... he's out there.

She looked at me for a moment, then took my arm and pulled me down to her. She kissed my cheek and smiled. She started walking away. "Be careful, Steve," she turned to me once more. "You might not wanna pull on that thread," she referred to the file.

I opened it and there was a picture of him in some glass cage- below, attached one of him as the man I used to know. I had to, Nat, I'm sorry.

"You're going after him," Sam said, walking up behind me.

"You don't have to come with me."

"I know," he said. "When do we start?"

—————

Soon.

~ Steve R.