February 14, 1936

Dearest Diary,

It's officially the worst Valentine's Day ever. Why? Well, not only is Bucky at work all day and can't hang out with me... but I just got some really bad news.

It's my mom.

Apparently she's super sick. More so than I thought. She has tuberculosis.

The worst part though... is that she had to tell me. That I didn't notice any of the very obvious signs.

She was loosing weight and coughing and holding her chest in pain and was always hot with a fever. Ugh, I should have known. I feel like a failure of a son.

And now, I don't even have Bucky to talk to about this. I'm left to cry in my room about all this. About her. About him.

About the fact that I wish I was with him today. That I miss him so, so much.

About the fact that she's sick and there's nothing I can do to help. That I didn't even know. I realize, now more than ever, that some day I'm not gonna have a mom. She's gonna be gone, too, just like my dad. And I'll be all alone.

Well, I guess not entirely. I'll have Bucky. But no one really related to me.

And I was just starting to feel not so alone in this world. Now? That's all been taken away from me once again.

Why did I expect today to be any different?

~ Steven G. Rogers