October 1, 2023

Dear Diary,

We've all gathered at Tony and Pepper's place for his funeral before I go back to the past to return all the stones to their correct eras. Hopefully, we don't all cry too much.

—————

We had found a recording left on one of his old Iron Man helmets and decided to play it today, though, it was more than what we'd expected. It was a hologram, actually, that had been prepared for this exact moment.

"Everybody wants a happy ending, right? But, it doesn't always roll that way. Maybe this time. I'm hoping, if you play this back, it's in celebration. I hope families are reunited. I hope we get it back. And something like a normal version of the planet has been restored. If there ever was such a thing. God, what a world. Universe, now. If you told me 10 years ago that we weren't alone, let alone, you know, to this extent, I mean, I- I wouldn't have been surprised but, come on, who knew? The epic forces of darkness and light that have come into play. And, for better or worse, that's the reality Morgan's gonna have to find a way to grow up in. So, I thought I'd probably better record a little greeting in the case of an untimely death. On my part. Not that death at any time isn't untimely. This time travel thing that we're gonna try and pull off tomorrow it- it's got me scratching my head about the survivability of it all. That's the thing. Then again, that's the hero gig, right? Part of the journey is the end. What am I even tripping for? Everything is gonna work out exactly the way it's supposed to. I love you 3,000."

He stood and turned off the monitor and I already knew everyone in that damned room was crying like I was.

We all headed outside and watched as Pepper placed a bed of flowered on the lake with Tony's first Arc Reactor on it with the ring around it, saying PROOF THAT TONY STARK HAS A HEART.

Later that day, as Banner made it very clear, we had to bring all the stones back to where they belonged. Something about a promise to an ancient bald sorceress.

After I come back, they said everyone would be disbanding, but they'd make sure no one left until after my return so that I might be able to say goodbye. For example, Thor would be joining the Guardians of the Galaxy, as they called themselves, in a few weeks... and I'd like to meet them all before they leave.

Anyway, Banner managed to recreate a smaller version of the Quantum Tunnel Stark had forged so that I might do everything I said I was going to. And, Hell, this better work.

"Remember," Banner started. "You have to return the Stones to the exact moment you got 'em or you're gonna open up a bunch of nasty alternative realities."

"Don't worry, Bruce," I assured him, closing the case with the Stones in it. "Clip all the branches."

"You know, I tried," he told me, looking down at me. "When I had the gauntlet, the stones, I- I really tried to bring her back... I miss her, man."

"Me, too," I agreed.

"You know, if you want, I could come with you," Sam pointed out.

"You're a good man, Sam," I stopped him. "This one's on me, though." I approached Bucky, next. "Don't do anything stupid 'til I get back," I quoted him.

"How can I?" he returned with a smile, knowing exactly what I was doing. "You're taking all the stupid with you." He pulled me into a hug and held it for a second. "I'm gonna miss you, buddy," he whispered solemnly after pulling away.

"It's gonna be okay, Buck," I replied, walking up onto the platform and putting on my Team Suit once more.

"How long is this gonna take?" Sam wondered impatiently.

"For him, as long as he needs," Bruce explained. "For us, five seconds... You ready, Cap?" I nodded. "All right, we'll meet you back here, okay?"

"You bet."

"Going Quantum," Bruce began. "Three, two, one."

—————

And, like that, I was in the past all over again and all alone.

~ S. R.