October 16, 1936

Dear Diary,

The burial is today. Good grief, this is hard, watching them put her in the ground next to dad like that. I wish it hadn't happened so soon.

Sure, I'm not a kid anymore... but I wish, I don't know. I don't even know what I want at this point.

—————

We walked up the steps to my and my moms place, Bucky and I.

"We looked for you after," Bucky started. "My folks and I wanted to give you a ride to the cemetery," he added.

The truth was, I had avoided them because I didn't want him seeing me like that. Bucky's family attended the mass but the burial I felt like was something that I should be by myself for.

"I know, I'm sorry it's- I kinda wanted to be alone," I responded after a long pause.

"How was it?" He asked.

"It was okay... she's next to dad," I felt tears start to prickle my eyes. I brushed my hair off of my face as a distraction as we approached the door.

"I was gonna ask-" he stopped.

"I know what you're gonna say, Buck. It's just..."

"We can put the couch cushions on the floor like when we were kids... it'd be fun, all you gotta do is just shine my shoes or maybe take out the trash..." he walked over and kicked a brick out of the way, displaying my house key. Mom used to keep it there. He bent over and picked it up, handing it to me. "Come on..." I took it.

"Thank you, Buck... but I can get by on my own."

"The thing is, you don't have to," his eyes narrowed and I felt like it was just he and I there alone in the world. His hand met my shoulder, "I'm with you 'til the end of the line pal."

I simply couldn't fathom the words... probably because there aren't any. All I could seem to muster was a little smile of the purest joy I had felt in what felt like forever.

—————

And that was that.

I lost my mom, sure, but I knew that there would always be someone there for me.

And there's no one in the whole entire multiverse I would rather it be than my Bucky.

~S. R.