March 10, 1936

Dear Diary,

It's Bucky's 19th birthday today and I have some big stuff planned for us.

We go to Coney Island every year in the spring and it's a really nice day today so I figured we could go.

I hope it's a good time, too.

—————

I arrived at Bucky's house relatively early that morning... his dad was in on my surprise, so he let me in.

I told him I would be in Bucky's room and he said that was fine so I headed in. I slowly turned the knob, knowing that the door creaked when it was opened.

I successfully got in and shut the door behind me without waking him up. He was laying on his back so I then climbed onto the bed and sprawled myself out on top of him.

"SteeeeeeEEEEVE!" He groaned.

"Happy birthday, Bucky," I whispered into his ear, softly kissing his cheek afterwards.

"Ughhh come here..." he pulled the covers up and let me under there with him. He pulled my head into his chest and I could hear his heart beating in there all alone.

I brought my leg up and placed it on his torso. He then pulled my chin up and kissed me. "Thanks, Steve."

I smiled up at him. "You ready?" I asked.

"For what?"

"Uhm, hello? It's your birthday. We have things to do, people to see... well not really. But come on you gotta get up now," I pointed out.

"But I like this," he said, looking down at me and matching our gazes again, pulling me closer to his chest.

I sighed. "I know, I know. But I- we gotta go."

"Alright alright," and we stood. "Where we goin'?" He asked.

"Can't say. Oh, and I'm driving."

"Oh, are you?" He mocked me, I shrugged him off.

• • •

And we drive all the way to Coney Island and he didn't start to figure it out until we were really close. The surprise worked! Thank God.

"I can't believe you actually brought me here for my birthday, Steve," he mentioned as we walked into the park. I just smiled at him.

"It's nothing," I said, feeling my face burn up and turn red.

We walked all around and did as much as we possible could in the few hours we had. We stayed until it was dark, until the park was lit by tall yellow lamps.

It smelled of popcorn and hot dogs and cotton candy. There were people everywhere, especially for a Tuesday night. The wind was light but it put a bit of a chill in the, what would normally have been considered, warm air. I could hear the roar of the coasters and children yelping gaily all around me and Bucky and I headed down to the quieter section of the park.

What do I mean? Well, basically, we bought food and sat at the food court for an hour just talking about nothing.

"Hey, Steve?"

"Yea?" I replied.

"You wanna ride the Ferris Wheel before we head home?" He asked.

I thought about it. I was a little scared of heights, but as long as Bucky was with me... I would be alright. "Sure, sounds fun."