Chapter - 2 - A Weird Snake

The next morning, I awoke to the sound of birds. I also turned over and stretched. I then yawned and stood up.

Today I would focus on food. The Girl Scouts I was in never taught me how to make traps, but that didn't mean I didn't see them. We had a field day with the Boy Scouts and they made traps for small creatures. If I could remember those....

I also started to find suitable rocks and long tough leaves and good limbs that had fallen off trees. I then tied the leaves and limbs in a way that I remembered. This continued until I had a good thing going. I also used mud from the stream. It wasn't great looking but it was good enough for what I wanted.

I sat up the trap and started to work on more. After day two of not knowing where I was, I fell asleep with only grapes in my stomach.

The horse just stayed and ate grass and drank the water from the river.

Day three then came. I awoke that morning to find two of my traps were successful. I then realized, I had no idea how to cut up these animals. One was a rabbit and the other was a squirrel. There was also another thing. I had no knife. I sat down and just stared at the two small dead animals.

I'm so dumb! I turned to the horse who was also staring at me. Then I saw what looked to be a small bag under the saddle. Oh? What was this? I stood up and walked over. I picked up the saddle and looked underneath. My mouth almost dropped. There was a small knife strapped underneath and the bag held bandages, some fabric, and a small packet of white powder. I had no idea what it did. I  stepped back and held the knife. I looked over at the animals and knitted my brows.

How should I cut them up? I stepped forward and grabbed up one small animal. I started cutting like how I thought you should. I drained the blood and got the guts out. I also skinned it but not the best. After it was all said in done I had been at it for three hours. I was wiped and soar and I had blood all over my hands. I  picked up the meats and put them on the fabric as I carried them to the river. I washed the meat and got ready to make a small fire before nightfall.

I cooked the meat on a stick and ate well that evening. I needed to find my way to somewhere by tomorrow as this was not the way to live. I went to sleep that night staring at the sky and wondering how I got myself in this situation.

Though my sleep did not last long. As I awoke to the sound of yells. I stood up and grabbed the horse reigns preparing to take off when the yelling stopped. I was perplexed but curiosity won. I held the reigns as I made my way toward the previous yells. The closer I got, the more I smelled blood. I gulped and looked over at a tall bush. There I saw many dead men and a small snake laying injured in the middle.

The snake opened its eyes and looked at me. I decided this was crazy and I stepped back to turn around and leave this place.

"Wait..."

My body froze as I turned back around. Who said that?

I looked around but everyone was dead.

"I'm over here." I heard.

"Where?" I asked. Then I realized this was the first time I had talking with this body. The voice was girlish and cute. I hated it. Then again I was most likely eleven.

"Right in front of you."

Then I realized the snake....

I raised my index finger on my right hand and pointed it at the snake.

"D-did you talk?" I stuttered in shock.

"Yes." His mouth moved and I passed out in shock.

The next morning at daybreak I looked around and noticed the horse was gone. Crap! I sat up and felt my head. I had a headache.

I yawned and looked around. Then I remembered last night. What a fever dream. I stood up to look over and I still saw the dead bodies but the snake was gone. I scratched my head and shrugged.

I started to walk forward when I felt I was being stared at. I looked around but saw nothing. I continued forward but the feeling continued. My hands started to get sweaty as I walked back toward the stream.

I darted my eyes around constantly but saw nothing but birds, squirrels, and bugs. Then I saw it. I focused on a fast-moving snake. It was the same one from last night!

"Hey!" I screamed. "You stop fever dream snake!" I shouted. I spoke in English because it was my mother language and no one else was around.

The snake froze and turned toward me. I stopped in my tracks and looked up at him.

"Ya! Am I dehydrated?" I touched my forehead. There was no way. I drank a good amount of water every day from the stream!

"You speak English?" I head above me.

I looked up and opened my eyes wide.

"You speak English?!" I yelled.

We both just stared at each other for what seemed like an eternity. I with my mouth gaped open and the snake just looking down at me.

What a world...I was having a conversation with a figment of my imagination. How nice!

I just turned away and started walking away. Not real, not real. No way! I need out of this forest! I would have messed up my hair but it was all short and stubby still. What sadness.

"Hey! Wait up!" I heard behind me.