Ch 191: Checkup

After finishing his call, he went straight to sleep.

However, he didn't have a good night's rest.

After the close call with Shining, Lin Ye dreamed of all the staff in the Rhodes Island Medical Department that he knew. All telling him with various expressions, tones, and ways that he was infected.

So, when he opens his eyes the next morning, while hearing a faint voice calling his name, and sees Ansel standing by his bed with a condescending look, he naturally assumes he's still dreaming.

He wearily raises his hand and covers his eyes.

"I know, I know.", Lin Ye sighs, "I'm infected."

"Huh?", Ansel frowns, "Infected with what?"

"Oripathy."

"Who said that?", Ansel reaches out and places a hand on Lin Ye's forehead, "Did you catch with some unknown mental disease?"

Lin Ye's mind was clearer now, so he sits up and stares at Ansel for a good two to three seconds.

"Fully awake now?"

"This isn't a dream? Let me pinch you just to make sure.", Lin Ye slowly reaches for Ansel.

Ansel takes a step back, "Pinch yourself!", he roars loud enough to fully awaken Lin Ye.

Lin Ye sheepishly scratches his head, "Sorry, I had a bad dream."

Ansel sighs in relief, "I know. You were sleep talking."

"Really? What did I say?"

"That you're infected."

"Am I infected? I'm not infected, right? I won't be infected, right?!"

Ansel impassively stares at Lin Ye, "You're just nervous."

Lin Ye mirthlessly chuckles, "Would you not be?"

"You shouldn't be. You're a pure human, so you should have better resistance against infection.", Ansel replies.

Ansel thinks for a while, "I actually haven't found a single case of a pure human becoming infected so far, if that helps?"

Lin Ye was surprised by that, "Really?"

"I haven't found any records of it, on this continent. We thought Ace was one before, but yesterday we discovered he wasn't."

"Did he say that he was one?", Lin Ye starts.

"The dust from those explosive bugs is very infectious.", Ansel whispers.

"Ace's body was burned extensively and had numerous wounds, so the dust easily entered his bloodstream. He became infected within the day."

Lin Ye is struck speechless. He remembers the image of Ace's broken body, and his heart sinks.

"Don't overthink it.", Ansel says, "Ace had been expecting this kind of result for a long time. As one of our most experienced combat captains, he knows this kind of things even better than some of our medical staff."

"Is he..."

"He was very calm, and the infection was detected early. We were able to curtail it spread in his body for the time being and will continue to monitor it.", Ansel answers.

"In this regard, Rhodes Island is completely safe.", Ansel's words made Lin Ye relax a little, although it still worried him a bit.

"Okay. Don't just sit in bed.", Ansel throws Lin Ye's clothes onto his bed, "You should also come to the medical department with me, don't just sit here worrying."

Lin Ye nods and immediately gets out of bed.

After washing up, he follows Ansel to the medical department.

{Rhodes Island's Psychologist}

There was still half an hour before work hours, so Lin Ye was expecting only a few people to be in the medical department. He didn't expect almost everyone to be there.

When he follows Ansel in, several pairs of eyes focused on him, which made him feel quite intimidated, as he looked around. It seems that Shining and Nightingale hadn't come back yet.

Lin Ye was surprised to see that Silence was also here, sitting on an office chair.

Just as he was about to ask Silence about Ifrit, he hears a familiar emotionless voice speak behind him.

"Good morning. Dr. Lin."

Lin Ye turns around and finds Ptilopsis standing before him.

"Ptilopsis. How have you been?", Lin Ye casually says in greeting.

"Operator Ptilopsis is serving as a substitute in the medical department for the apostle team until they return to Rhodes Island.", Ptilopsis replies.

"I mean, it's so early. How are you able to come to work? Don't you usually sleep until noon?"

"Doctor Lin, please refrain from suddenly slandering the innocent operator Ptilopsis," Ptilopsis stoically replies, "Ptilopsis is one of the candidates for the annual outstanding employee of Rhodes Island. Operator Ptilopsis has never been late or missed any records in the data cart."

By now, Silence had approached them, "Okay, Ptilopsis, you go help make the preparations for Doctor Lin first."

"Preparations", Lin Ye raises an eyebrow, "What preparations?"

"A urine test.", Ptilopsis says with her usual drone, "Operator Ptilopsis hopes that you can provide sufficient samples in order to acquire satisfactory test results."

Lin Ye steps back at the absurdity of the request.

"Haha. I was joking.", Ptilopsis's ears flap, "Doctor Lin, did you find it humorous?"

"No, it wasn't. Please don't joke about things like that."

"Truly?", Ptilopsis nods, "Operator Ptilopsis has archived your feedback, and will use it to improve her next attempt."

With that, she walks away leaving Lin Ye alone with Silence.

Seeing that he had the opportunity, Lin Ye decides to ask about Ifrit's condition.

"Is Ifrit okay?", he asks politely.

Silence quietly answers, "She woke up last night, but her body is still unstable and needs to be observed for a few more days."

"Really? Then don't you need to be with her?"

"I want to be with her, by her side, but I have-. No. I need to be here today.", Silence looks at Lin Ye.

She continues softly, "Doctor Lin, you saved Ifrit by putting yourself at the risk of being infected. Words can't express how grateful I am to you. At the very least I can assist in testing on whether or not you are infected.

"Is that so?", Lin Ye scratches his head, "Then thank you very much for doing this."

"I should be one saying that to you, Doctor Lin.", Silence weakly sighs.

Lin Ye stares at her, hesitation slowly crawling into his heart, wondering whether or not he should tell Silence about his call with Saria. If he told her, would she lose her cool again?

'She has the right to know.'

Just as he was about to tell her, Ansel appeared with an iron bucket.

"What are you doing?", Lin Ye asks.

Ansel sets the iron bucket on the table, before glancing back at Lin Ye, "We'll be starting your test now."

"What test?"

"The blood test."

Lin Ye's eyes bulged.

{Rhodes Island's Psychologist}

Draft by Jaqq10

Proofread by Demosama & PanzerComrade56

Edit by Jaqqy10