Ch 239: First Snow

Lin Ye started remembering his first-time experiencing snow. He didn't find any problems telling this story to Sussurro.

"You found a cat in the snow?" Sussurro turns to look at Lin Ye and asks, "Is it at Chernoborg? I remember that Chernoborg snows very little."

" I lived somewhere else before Chernoborg." Lin Ye says vaguely, "I used to live in a different country, but I went to Chernoborg only later. However, it rarely snows in our place. The first time I saw it was about when I was ten years old."

"Then you found a cat? A stray cat?"

"Yes, it was buried under the snow." Lin Ye recalls, "It was about three or four months old, very skinny. When I dug it out, it was almost frozen."

"Well, cats are not used to cold climate." Sussurro nods, "But It was lucky to meet you. You adopted it later, right? After you were a- what you didn't have a job at that time."

"Yes but I really wanted to adopt it, even though I had a lot of cats at that time, but..." Lin Ye solemnly says, "It failed to survive. When I brought it to the pet hospital, it was already dead."

Sussurro is taken aback "Dead?"

"Well, I don't know if it was frozen to death or starved to death. Maybe both. It was already too late when I found it. Even when I wrapped its body with my scarf, even when I tried to feed it some food, there was no hope for it to survive. It had no response except for purring at me twice. It did not eat the food that I gave either. Obviously, it happened a long time ago, but I still feel sad when I recall it. Because that was the first time seeing snow. It was not easy for a southerner to see snow. Especially in the city. On that winter night, the snow suddenly came, and the children of my age were immersed in the joy and excitement of seeing the snow. Only I was in a daze in the pet hospital holding a cat that could not be rescued. Outside the pet hospital was the sound of intensive firecrackers, and the colourful fireworks lit the night sky and also illuminated my confused face.

Lin Ye slowly let out his breath. Sussurro stays quiet to listen to his story but can't help to feel a bit emotional hearing it all. Sussurro also felt a little tight in his chest, as if he was blocked by something.

"What happened next?" Sussurro couldn't help asking.

"Next? What else?" Lin Ye shrugs, "I can only bury that cat. I also buried it with a maple fruit and a bell. Oh, and my scarf too." Sussurro is a little bit emotional: "Why put a maple fruit with it?"

"If it starved to death, then I hope it can eat it in the next life."

".... What about the bell?"

"I have not been very healthy since I was a child. My mother would usually pray to God. She bought a protection bell for me. Asked me to carry it everywhere so that it will keep me safe." Lin Ye chuckles, "But that bell is obviously useless to me. I still encounter unlucky things. However, I always carried it with me like a fool. So, I gave the bell to that cat. prayed that it will bless it."

"But the cat is dead."

"Then bless it in the next life."

Sussurro feels that Lin Ye's thoughts are weird. In her opinion, no matter what kind of creature it is, death means death, and death means that it has no contact with this world. How could it be said in the next life, and if so, what can those things buried in the soil do? However, even though she thought this kind of thing was ridiculous, she was surprised that this behaviour seemed to be good?

"What about that scarf?" Sussurro said, "Do you hope it won't be frozen to death in the next life?"

"What do mean by that? isn't that a bit morbid? Although, you are right."

Lin Ye didn't know how to explain it. After all, Sussurro and he are not from the same world, and she couldn't understand the kind of parents that lived in his hometown. The type that would pray to God in the hope they will be blessed in life or the next.

Especially for children like Lin Ye who are not in very good physical condition. Other people's parents would pray for their child to get a good grade or win a competition of some sort but not his. Lin Ye's parents pray in hope that he would be alive for a bit longer or at least get a better life in his next one.

So that night, Lin Ye also had the same thoughts as his parents. He prayed that this helpless cat will be safe in the next life... If there is another life. it will not be hungry and cold anymore. Thinking about it now, he was a very naive child.

"Don't think about it too much, Sussurro. It just a young me being naive."

"No, I think that you did the best you can at that age." she lowers her head.

"... I see." seeing that she is trying to make him feel better, Lin Ye places a hand on her. She didn't say a thing, only letting him be. They enjoyed each other presence in the snow.

"Doctor Lin! Doctor Lin! It's time to set off."

Cliffheart's voice pulls Lin Ye out of the whirlpool of memories. He turns his head and finds a "fully armed" Cliffheart standing and beckoning to him to come over. He chuckles at her and waves back. So, he stops talking about his past to Sussurro and goes straight to Cliffheart. Sussurro follows behind him, like a small attendant. Lin Ye takes a step, she needed two to keep up.

"W-Woah!"

Then, she trips but Lin ye is fast enough to catch her before she falls. He pulls her up and holds his hand out to her.

"I'm not a-."

"I know you aren't but I just worry. Let me help."

After a few moments passed, she grasps his hand and continues to walk. Lin Ye had to walk slower but he didn't mind it.

Matterhorn and Pramanix also arrived. Matterhorn is carrying the biggest bag amongst them, and his expression is still very serious. When Lin Ye walked over with Sussurro, he said to Lin Ye earnestly: "Doctor Lin, the holy road is not that safe. When we enter the mountain, I need you to follow everything I say.

"I understand you will. However, what I need is more than your understanding." Matterhorn turns sideways, points to Lappland who is running in the snow laughing, and says solemnly, "I hope you can make her understand that the holy road is not a fun place."

At the moment, Pramanix rang the bell. She is facing the direction of the holy road and slowly closed her eyes.

"O, sacred mountains of Karlan." Pramanix softly prays, "Please bless us."

{Rhodes Island's Psychologist}

On top of the Karlan holy mountain, there is a holy temple there.

The cold wind blew, a series of bells hung in the temple rang at the same time, the bells made a crisp and sweet melody.

When the bells stopped, a young girl put down the hot tea in her hand and walked out of the holy temple. Stepped into the incense field.

She raises her head, and the not-so-bright sun reflected in her eyes.

The wind blows again.

The girl's grey scarf is dancing in the wind.

{Rhodes Island's Psychologist}

Draft by Jaq

Proofread by Weebly

Edit by Jaq