Chapter 5

After cleaning was done, the daycare was opened somewhat early. Sun and Oliver got to spend some more time with the kids before Peter stood up and walked to the center of the daycare.

"Alright, everyone! I'm sure a lot of you are tired. So, it's time for nap time! Are you all ready to see Moon?" he announced.

Peter got a chorus of cheers from the kids in the daycare. You smiled, watching as Peter walked over to a light switch and flicked the lights off. Your eyes trailed to Sun, watching as the triangles around his head flipped down and part of his face seemed to rotate behind the raised moon shape. The most shocking part of this transformation, though, was the color and pattern shift he went through. His pants changed from orange and red stripes to a dark blue with glowing stars. His arms developed a blue gradient and his chest went from the normal cream color to a half black, half white color. You watched him slip the night cap from underneath his chest, placing it on his head with a small smirk.

"Good evening, everyone. It's so good to see you again," Moon said, bowing to all the kids in the daycare.

"Alright, everyone come get your Moondrops!" Peter called, opening the drawer and grabbing a large handful of the blue wrapper candy while gesturing for you to do the same.

You grabbed a handful as well, following Peter and helping him and Moon hand the candy out to everyone. A minute later, Peter handed you the rest of his candy and ran back to where the cleaning supplies was stored. He opened a door next to it and pulled out a large stack of quilted blankets. You finished handing out the rest of the candy you had before going over and helping spread out the blankets. Before long, most of the kids had grown tired. They started migrating towards the blankets that were already spread out. Moon was leading a group of the kids to one of the blankets.

"What's in that candy?" you asked.

"Melatonin. Every parent who sends there kid here around this time has to give written permission that their kid can have the candy, so it's not like they don't know," Peter said.

You nodded. Once all the blankets were set up, you went back to the desk, taking a seat in the chair you had basically claimed as your own. You watched Moon as a few of the kids cuddled up to him. It was a little surprising how loved he was despite the kids only ever really having nap time with him. Then again, maybe he made them feel safe.

After a few minutes, when most of the kids had already fallen asleep, you watched Oliver get up and stumble over to you, rubbing his eyes.

"I can't sleep," he whispered.

"Wait, did you get one of the candies?" Peter quietly asked. Oliver nodded. "Weird... this is the first time I've seen a kid not fall asleep after having one."

"Oliver doesn't normally react to things like melatonin," you whispered.

"Would you be fine with letting him take a second one?" Peter asked.

"I don't know... I think I can help him get to sleep, though," you said.

You picked Oliver up and walked over to one of the empty blankets, sitting down with him in your lap. You gently pet his hair, feeling him start to relax in your arms. You noticed both Moon and Peter watching you.

"Someday I'll toss all your presents, and bury the letters left unsent," you quietly sang. You could feel Oliver shift to where his head was pressed against your chest. "Cause it's bad to do what's easy, just cause it's easy, and I wanna do what pleases me but I can't."

"And the road, she'd roll round the side of the mountain

With nowhere to go

But the heart, we know

When it's a-loving it's a-leaning toward being alone"

As you continued to sing, you could feel Oliver's breathing even out as his body fully relaxed.

"Someday I'll find the mind to mend it

And make dry these eyes I've gotten wet

Cause it's bad to do what's easy just cause it's easy

And I wanna do what pleases me but I can't, oh no

And the crow, he'd mow half the grass on the knoll

With nowhere to go

But the heart, we know

When it's a-needing it's careening toward being alone"

You could hear from not too far away someone humming to your singing. Glancing over, you saw that Moon was the one humming. His eyes were closed and his head was tilted back slightly.

"The oats we sow

They could seed on forever with nowhere to grow

But the heart, we know

When it's asking its exact twin it will not be alone"

Once the song was finished, you sat there for a minute before carefully moving Oliver closer to where some of the other kids were before getting up. You watched Moon move the kids off of him with the same level of care. The two of you then got up and went over to the desk.

"I think we're gonna have to start calling you music box. That was amazing," Peter whispered.

"Thank you. It's something I really only do when Ollie can't sleep," you said, smiling.

"Your voice is very beautiful," Moon said, placing his hand on your back.

You blushed and let out a nervous chuckle, trying not to tense up too much.

"Is that one of his favorite songs?" Peter asked.

"Yeah... I guess it was my mom's favorite as well. It was one of her most listened to tracks on her computer," you said.

"Do you not know much about her?" he asked.

"Sadly, no. I've forgotten basically everything before fifteen and I guess that was when my parents died. I just have things like photo albums and old PCs that have information about them," you said.

"I'm sorry to hear that. It's a lovely song. I can understand why she liked it," he said.

You could feel Moon gently rubbing your back, causing you to smile.

"Yeah, I think it's one of my favorites, too."