Chapter 18

The sound of sirens grew closer. Peter got out of the car and moved to sit with you in the back seat, hugging you and trying to get you to calm down enough to explain what had happened. When the cops showed up, they busted down the front door, coming out a few minutes later with a manic Bill. He was still screaming, struggling like a wild animal. Peter had texted Amanda, telling her that everything was okay and the cops had arrived.

One of the cops came over to talk to you. An ambulance arrived a few minutes later, most likely to make sure that if anyone got hurt, they could be treated. You sat there for a while, answering questions and being checked for any injuries. They were glad to see Peter was already there to take you back to his place for the night. At your request, one of the cops stayed behind to make sure everything was okay while you got some of your stuff. They had to help you climb back through the window so you could move your dresser and unlock the door.

Once you had packed up some of yours and Oliver's stuff, you went back out to Peter's car, thanking the cop before leaving. Oliver had passed out in the back seat, most likely from stress. You sat up front with Peter, looking over the costume you were wearing. Surprisingly, and thankfully, it was unharmed.

"So... he's just been acting like this since the Pizzaplex shut down?" Peter asked.

"Yeah... he's been coming home drunk or acting high. It wasn't this bad, though," you said.

"I wonder how management is gonna handle this," he said.

"God, I hope I don't get fired," you mumbled.

"I'm sure it'll be fine. Management won't fire you for someone else's crimes," he said, patting your shoulder.

"So, do you know what the bug with the animatronics was?" you asked, wanting to change the subject.

"It was some sort of programming glitch, I think. Someone called it bad code. It's been removed and the animatronics seem to be fine now. They got one newer software update as well, which was why it took a bit longer," he explained.

"That's good. I'm glad we won't be shutting down again," you said.

"Me too. I wanna keep helping at the daycare," he said.

Shifting slightly in your seat, you looked over at Oliver. He was fast asleep.

"Do you wanna take tomorrow off?" Peter asked.

"No, I like being at the daycare. It's nice there," you said.

"Are you sure? I'm sure Kelly would be glad to take the day off and help you," he said.

"I'm sure."

Peter let out a small sigh, shaking his head and mumbling "if you say so".

Eventually, you arrived at an apartment building. You and Peter got out of the car, Peter grabbing your stuff while you picked up Oliver. You took the elevator up to the fourth floor and Peter lead you to the apartment. Once inside, you were immediately pulled into a hug by Kelly.

"Oh my god, are you okay? You're not injured or anything?" she asked, holding onto your arms.

"I'm fine, just spooked," you said.

You watched Peter take your bag over to the couch before going off to another room. Kelly had you sit down on the couch, checking you over.

"Let me get you something to drink. Do you like tea? I have a few teas that are meant to help you relax," she said, darting off to the kitchen.

Peter came back out a minute later, carrying a large blanket and a pillow.

"How are you feeling?" he asked.

"I... don't know. Confused? Scared? Betrayed?" you said.

"Is there anything at all that could've caused Bill to lash out like that?" he asked.

"I don't know. The only thing I can think of is drugs but he's always been against using them," you said.

"Hot chocolate! I can make you and your brother hot chocolate!" Kelly called.

"Th-thank you!" you called back, a little surprised.

Peter laughed a little, saying, "she does that a lot, always trying to make people feel comfortable and safe."

"It's very nice of her, but weird for me. Usually, I'm the one doing that for Ollie," you said.

"How is the kid doing, by the way?" he asked.

Glancing down at Oliver, you gently brushed the hair away from his face. He cuddled closer to you; the blanket still wrapped around him.

"I don't know. Hopefully he'll be fine," you said.

"I hope so, too. Poor kid doesn't need to have a scare like that at his age," he said.

"I'm sure he'll be happy to see Sun again tomorrow," you said.

"Alright, hot chocolate is done. Is there anything else I can get you?" Kelly asked, setting four mugs of hot chocolate down on the coffee table in front of the couch.

"I think we'll be fine for now," you said, giving her a soft smile.

You gently shook Oliver awake. He jolted awake, shaking while frantically looking around the room before seeing you and Peter and relaxing.

"Ms. Kelly was nice enough to make us hot chocolate," you said, grabbing one of the mugs and handing it to him.

"Thank you, Ms. Kelly," Oliver said, taking the mug from you.

"It's no problem," she said, smiling.

"You doing okay there, buddy?" Peter asked.

Oliver nodded, taking a large gulp from the mug.

"Would you two like to go to bed now?" Kelly asked.

"Not really... I think I wanna stay up for a bit," you said.

"That's not a bad idea. We can watch TV and distract ourselves for a bit," Peter said.

"I'll go get some movies. I don't think any of the cable channels with have anything kid friendly this late," Kelly said, standing up and walking over to a shelf.

After a few minutes grabbing some movies and getting a few bags of chips, all four of you sat down on the couch and started playing movie after movie. Oliver was the first to fall asleep, getting through two and a half movies followed by Kelly who fell asleep sometime during the fifth. After the fifth movie, Peter stood up and picked Kelly up.

"We should probably head to bed. Don't wanna be sleep deprived for work," he said.

"Yeah," you said.

"Feel free to get something to eat or drink if you're thirsty. The bathroom is the first door on the right down the hall. If you need anything or start feeling off, don't be afraid to wake either of us up," he said.

"Thank you, for everything," you said.

"It's no problem. I'm glad to help out a friend," he said.

"Good night."

"Night."

Once you heard the door to Peter and Kelly's room shut, you let out a sigh. You got up, setting Oliver down before grabbing a spare change of clothes and going to the bathroom to change. You didn't want to fall asleep in your costume. Once done, you carefully got Oliver changed without waking him up. You laid down on the couch, holding Oliver close to you.

Your mind wandered back to what happened at your house. You could remember everything perfectly; the banging, the yelling, the dead look in Bill's eyes. His eyes. They looked so off. They didn't look like Bill's eyes. Despite looking dead, there was a glint to them. What that glint was, you didn't know, but it sparked a whole new level of fear in you. As you somehow managed to drift off to sleep, your last thought was; "I could've died".