Chapter 19

The next morning, you, Peter, and Oliver walked into the Pizzaplex. Oliver had brought one of his stuffed toys with him as a source of comfort. As you made your way to the daycare, a few employees walked over to you and would ask if you were okay or say they were sorry about what happened. Word must've gotten around. Bill was a higherup, so it was no surprise that people found out so fast.

Once you were at the daycare, you went through the gates rather than down the slide. You were honestly feeling out of it. You hoped being in the daycare would fix that. Opening the doors, you were immediately greeted with Amanda pulling you into a tight hug.

"Holy shit, holy shit you're okay," she whispered.

"Sunshine! What's going on?" Sun asked, running up to you.

"I don't really wanna-"

"Mr. Bill tried to hurt us," Oliver said, cutting you off while hugging his doll to his chest.

"He... what?" Sun said. His body had gone stiff as his expression became a mix of anger and surprise.

"Hey, let's not talk about this too much. It's all over, he's been arrested. Let's just drop it for poor (y/n)'s sake," Peter said. He gently pulled Amanda off of you, which you were relieved for. The hug was nice, but lasted more than you were comfortable with.

"Y-yeah," you mumbled.

"Sun, why don't you and Ollie go play while we work on cleaning," he said.

Sun hesitantly nodded, grabbing Oliver's hand and leading him over to the ball pit. He glanced back at you as he walked, looking concerned.

"Let's put some music on and get cleaning, take our minds off all of this. We don't want to scare any of the kids," Peter said.

You and Amanda nodded and the three of you got to cleaning the daycare. You wound up being the one climbing through the jungle gym, wiping down the floors and any obstacles. After a few minutes, you bumped into Sun, who was crawling around through the maze as well.

"Hey, what's up?" you asked.

"Just looking to see if you needed any help," he said, smiling.

"I mean, I guess. It'll be faster if I have help," you said.

"Perfect!" he exclaimed, pulling out a pack of disinfectant wipes from his pants pocket and beginning the process of helping you clean. The entire time, he would constantly glance at you with a concerned look. You knew what he was probably thinking. He wanted to know about what had happened. You felt a little uncomfortable at the idea of telling him. You didn't want him to freak out and you didn't want to remember what happened. But he probably wouldn't stop being concerned unless you at least told him something. It was sweet that he was concerned but...

"(y/n)? Are you okay?" he asked.

"Y-yeah, I'm fine. Just a little off my game," you said, shaking your head.

Sun let out a small hum, stopping what he was doing. "Sunshine, what's going on?" he asked.

"It's really nothing," you said.

"Sunshine, please," he said, putting a hand on your shoulder.

Instead of any words coming out of your mouth, you just let out a whimper. You quickly covered your mouth, feeling embarrassed. Sun quickly pulled you into a hug. In the small space of the jungle gym, you were basically in his lap. You hugged him back, resting your head on his shoulder.

You felt yourself relax as he hugged you, all of your worries seeming to disappear in that moment. You realized this was why you felt so safe and happy at the daycare. The attendant's presence brought you so much peace.

"I'm sorry. Please don't be scared, (y/n)," Sun murmured, rubbing your back.

"I'll try," you whispered.

Sun nodded and you felt him rest his head on top of yours. After another minute of you two just hugging, you finally sat up.

"Let's get back to cleaning before the kids start showing up," you said, trying to put on a small smile.

"Whatever you say, Sunshine," he said, smiling as well.

You felt your cheeks heat up slightly when he did. He looked cute smiling like that.

The realization at what you just thought made your blush deepen as you turned away, trying not to act suspicious. You thought he was cute. You thought a fucking robot was cute. What had gotten into you? You resisted the urge to smack your head against the jungle gym bars as you and Sun went back to cleaning.

There was no way you thought a robot was cute. Sure, some robots were meant to be cute, but this was a different kind of cute. It was a romantic cute. Sure, you thought people could look cute all the time, but it was more in a friendly way. This was the first time your thoughts had transcended from being platonic to being romantic.

Your brain was slowly frying itself. Did you actually like Sun like that? We're these actual romantic feelings? Or was this something else? You didn't know. You never really had any sort of crush or romantic interest in anyone before, so you wouldn't know. You didn't think you could talk to anyone about it either. That would just make you look like a weirdo, maybe even get you fired if that was something management didn't want.

Did you really start liking the daycare attendant and if so, would there even be a chance at being able to date him?