Chapter 63

A few weeks went by. You had gotten Oliver settled into a daycare relatively quickly and were able to easily switch over to working with Monty. No one was allowed to go near the daycare anymore after the incident, one of the managers saying that the attendant was too dangerous to be around until they could fix him. What really hurt though was Peter quitting. You didn't actually immediately find out about this. He still texted and never even hinted at the fact that he would quit. However, you learned from Ms. Williams that he really only worked at the Pizzaplex because of the daycare. Now that it was closed, he had no reason to be working here. It made you sad to know that he wasn't working there anymore, but it did make you happy to know that he was going to start working at the daycare you were leaving Oliver at.

Unfortunately, despite some of the good that was happening, working with Monty wasn't always the easiest. Just like Richard had said, Monty would occasionally have small bursts of anger, but those bursts were getting a lot more frequent and a lot more violent. He was usually able to keep his cool on stage and around larger crowds of fans, but he became extremely competitive while in Gator Golf and would often break things in his room in Rockstar Row. Recently, he had taken to hiding right before shows. It was near impossible for anyone to find him. All of you were lucky that he would show up right before the animatronics needed to be raised up onto the stage. And today, Monty had run off again.

"Monty! Can you come out?" you called, wandering around Gator Golf.

You knew he'd show up last second for the show, but there was a nagging fear amongst a lot of the maintenance crew that one day he wouldn't.

"Monty! Montgomery Gator!" you yelled.

Nothing.

"Montgomery!" you yelled again.

Suddenly, you got the feeling of being watched again. You took a deep breath, closing your eyes and trying to figure out where the staring was coming from. Then, you opened your eyes and looked up. Above you on the catwalks was the unmistakable shape of Monty.

"Found you," you whispered.

You ran up to the stairs that lead to the catwalks, unlocking the door and climbing up. Once on the catwalks, you walked over to Monty. He was sitting on the suspended metal path, his legs dangling over the edge, his arms folded on one of the railings and his head resting on his arms. You took a seat next to him, mimicking his pose.

"You doing okay?" you asked.

"Yeah," he mumbled.

"You wanna tell me why you're up here?" you asked. He stayed quiet. "You not comfortable sharing?"

"You won't believe me," he said.

"Bet," you said, looking over at him.

"I... I'm the reason Bonnie got destroyed," he said. You were a little stunned by his words, but motioned for him to continue. "That night, when that guy broke into the Pizzaplex and started trying to destroy Bonnie, I saw. I wanted to stop him, but I couldn't. I couldn't move. I don't know why but I just couldn't."

"That doesn't make it your fault-"

"Yes it does!" he yelled, slamming his hands against the railings. "I could've saved him but I didn't! It's my fault he's gone!" He quieted down, staring at the floor of Gator Golf. "I don't deserve to be on stage."

You gently placed a hand on his shoulder, a frown on your face.

"It's going to be okay. I'm gonna try and make things right, okay?" you said.

"Kid, you don't have to," Monty mumbled.

"I do. Bill is basically my dad and he was the one that did all that stuff to Bonnie. Now that he's dead, I'm the only one who can make things right for him," you said.

"You're not responsible for his actions."

"And neither are you."

Monty sighed, staring down at the ground once again.

"Look, neither of us are happy about what's going on right now, but there are a bunch of kids out there excited to see you perform. Right now, those kids need to take top priority," you said.

Monty nodded, pushing himself up with you following his actions. "Alright," he mumbled.

The two of you started descending from the catwalks. You were glad that you managed to find Monty. Now that you knew where he might normally hang out when he ran off, you would be able to help more and make sure none of the staff got too worried.

"Hey, kid, are you doing okay?" Monty asked.

"Why do you ask?" you said.

"You just don't seem okay," he said.

"I mean... I'm not," you mumbled. You stopped walking down the stairs, your hand clutching the railing. "My first job is going downhill, I can't see Sun and Moon anymore, I've lost all my family except Oliver, and now I feel like I'm starting to go crazy the same way Bill did. I keep wanting to hurt people or lash out and I'm scared that I'm gonna go crazy and destroy one of you guys." You could see a concerned look flash across Monty's face. "I-I won't. At least, I'll do my best not to, but I'm still scared that I will. I can hear voices in my head and it's driving me crazy. I want to scream and bash my head into the wall until my skull splits open. I-I just don't k-know what to do anymore."

Monty placed a hand on your shoulder, a knowing look on his face.

"Don't worry, kid. If you do start going crazy, I'll be there to try and snap you out of it. I won't freeze up this time," he said, a surprisingly soft smile on his face.

You let out a small laugh, feeling tears pricking the corner of your eyes as you wiped them away. "Is big, tough Monty going soft?" you asked, trying to keep yourself from crying.

"Don't make me go back on what I said," he said, ruffling your hair. "Hey, how's the kid doing?"

"Ollie? He's fine. He's been beyond resilient with all of this. All it takes is a nap and maybe some candy and he's back to his normal, happy self," you said.

"Sounds like Chica. Give her food and she'll forget any problems she was facing," Monty said, causing you to laugh.

"Good to know," you said.

You and Monty made your way back to the stage, the rest of the maintenance crew happy to see you had found him. You went through your normal procedure of making sure all of the animatronics were good to go before sending them up on stage for the performance.