Chapter 49

The next day was a bit of a blur. After coming home from the mall, you let Oliver watch TV for a bit while you did some cleaning and reorganizing. After that, it was dinner, then you went to bed. After waking up, you got ready for the day and took Oliver to the staff meeting, having him go hang out with Freddy. Everything that was being said didn't really process. You heard the managers talking about Bill, you remembered hearing something about increased security, especially around the daycare, and there were a lot of mentions about keeping the animatronics in something called showtime mode as often as possible. The only thing you could remember was Monty being announced as the new bassist and the looks of excitement coming from maintenance workers who you recognized as being the ones who mainly took care of Monty. After the meeting, Jacob came up to you and hugged you, apologizing for what happened yesterday. Katie came up as well, rambling about how sorry she was and to contact her if anything happened. Peter was there, staying by your side but not speaking too much. He looked like how you did yesterday, barely keeping it together. Many of the maintenance workers had that same look. The only ones who even seemed like they were taking it better were the ones who worked with Monty. If you hadn't known any better, you'd say they were the ones that caused all this.

"How you feeling, (y/n)? You holdin' up okay?" Peter asked.

"Yeah, you?" you mumbled.

Peter just nodded. "Hey, if you need time alone, let me know and I can take care of Ollie for a bit, okay?"

Katie darted back over, giving you and Peter worried looks. She had been running around to different groups, talking to them and making sure everyone was okay.

"Is everything okay? Can I get you guys anything?" she asked.

"We're fine. Don't worry too much about us, okay?" Peter said.

"I know but... (y/n)'s my friend and you've been nice to talk to and I just wanna make sure you're okay," she said.

"Katie, we're fine. You, on the other hand, look like you're on the verge of tears," you said.

"I-... I don't know. This is all so much for me. I thought these animatronics were safe and that nothing bad would happen but... I don't know. I know you guys and management are going to do everything you can to keep all of us safe but... I don't know how to feel about working here anymore," she said, rubbing her arm.

"Hey, it'll be okay. I'll be damned if I let one of those animatronics go rogue and hurt someone again. Just trust the maintenance team and we'll keep you safe," Peter said.

Katie smiled and nodded.

"Hey guys!"

The three of you turned to see Jacob running over. He had been dragged off by one of the managers a few minutes ago, but now he was back. You noticed Katie's smile immediately turned into an annoyed frown as she crossed her arms, you feeling a bit of nervousness and annoyance as well.

"What, Jacob?" she asked.

"You won't believe this! They promoted me! I'm gonna be one of the security guards!" he exclaimed.

"I wouldn't call that a promotion, bud. Working as a guard is hell from what I've heard, dealing with customers and all that," Peter said.

"Yeah, but they're stationing me at the daycare! I'm gonna get to hang out with you guys!" Jacob said.

Peter sighed, shaking his head. "Whatever you say, bud."

"Well, I'm heading out. I need to go to H&M for some stress shopping. If I'm gonna be a wreck, I at least want to look like a well dressed one," Katie mumbled.

"Want me to come with?" Jacob asked.

"Dude, no. We've already been over this, I don't want to hang out with you anymore. Just go mind your own business," Katie growled before walking off.

The three of you were quiet for a minute before Jacob let out a nervous laugh and rubbed the back of his neck. "Guess she wants to be alone," he said.

"Yeah... anyways. (y/n), you're going to be with Ms. Williams for today, right? Want me to take care of Oliver?" Peter asked.

Before you could answer, Jacob butted in. "I could watch over him."

Peter sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "Look, kid. I get that you're trying to be helpful, but just stay out of this. While I'm not saying you're bad at taking care of kids, I have proper training and experience," he said.

"I have experience, too! I was the one who watched over my younger cousins at family gatherings and- and I used to help (y/n) babysit sometimes-"

"Jacob! Get over here, now!"

You looked over to see Dave glaring at the three of you.

"Shit, gotta go. I've got basic training to start," Jacob said, waving to the two of you before running over to David.

It was quiet between you and Peter for a minute. The two of you just watched Jacob leave the room along with the majority of everyone else.

"If I'm being completely honest, that kid was really pissing me off," Peter said.

"I know. I've known him for a while and usually he isn't that bad but... he's been getting on my nerves," you said.

"Wonder what he did to that poor Katie girl. She seemed pretty ticked off," he said.

"No clue. Katie is usually really nice and doesn't tend to get mad at people, so it must've been something bad," you said.

Peter sighed, shaking his head. "It's whatever. I'll go talk to management later, see if we can get Dave over at the daycare instead of him. I'd rather put up with Dave's grouchy ass than whatever bad vibes that kid is radiating," he said.

"I'll talk to Katie later, see what happened," you said.

"There you two are! I thought I'd find you together," Veronica said, walking over to you and Peter.

"Hey, guessing you're here to snag (y/n)?" Peter asked.

"Actually, both of you can have the day off. I have a few things I want you to do while you're at home, (y/n), but other than that I just want you two to relax. You two do so much for the daycare and since we're going to be closed for the next two days, I want the two of you to just relax and take some time to yourselves," she said.

You were a little surprised. Something must've happened, but you weren't going to complain.

"Can I visit the attendant first?" you asked.

"Of course! I'll make sure to be the one to lock up so I can grab you before I go," she said.

"Thank you m'am," you said. You turned to Peter, looking up at him. "You wanna come with?"

"Nah, Kelly wants me home as soon as possible. I can still take Ollie, though," he said.

"Yeah, I'm gonna try and clean up the house once I leave, see if I can get rid of any of Bill's stuff and turn it into a hobby room or something," you said.

"Sounds good to me. Just text me when you want him back," he said.

"Alright. He should be with Freddy, so go find him whenever you need to go," you said.

"Sweet. I'll see you later," he said.

"See ya!" you said before darting off to the daycare.