Chapter 50

You ran towards the daycare, practically sprinting when the entrance came into your line of sight. You burst into the room, skidding to a stop before spinning around while looking for the attendant.

"Sun! Moon!" you called.

You heard the faint sound of someone scrambling up and within a few seconds, Sun had launched himself off the balcony into the ball pit before running over to you. He picked you up, hugging you tightly and spinning you around.

"Sunshine! You're here!" he exclaimed.

"I-I'm here," you whimpered.

Tears welled up and spilled down your cheeks. You were in your safe space again, and it was hitting you like a truck. Your brain was finally processing everything that had been happening again and that right now, it was all over. Once you left, reality would hit you, but right now you were in a place where reality didn't matter. You were with the attendant, and that was all you cared about right now.

"It's alright, Sunshine. Just let it out," Sun whispered, gently petting your hair.

With those words, the dam broke. You sobbed into Sun's chest as he held you, pressing kisses to the top of your head and laying down with you.

"It's okay, Sunshine. I'm right here. You can talk to me whenever you're ready," he said.

It took a few minutes for you to calm down. Once you could finally manage to get out something resembling a sentence, however, you just vented everything. You vented about what had happened to Bill, how you were scared of losing the attendant or your job, how your emotions were just fucked up and refusing to cooperate, how you were having nasty thoughts about others and wanting to hurt people. You cried everything out until there were no tears left to cry. And Sun just sat there and listened. Never once did he tell you to stop, never once did he try to interrupt you or make you calm down when you weren't ready, when you still had more on your chest. He let you get everything that had been bugging you or making you stressed off of your chest. Well, almost everything.

Currently, you were lying on top of Sun. The attendant had laid down on his back and pulled you on top of him while you had been crying. You were letting out small whimpers and hiccups, your hands soaked in tears from attempting to wipe them from your cheeks. You felt exhausted. Sun was gently rubbing your back, his body rocking from side to side slightly.

"Are you feeling better?" he asked.

You slowly nodded.

"Do you want to do anything?"

You shook your head.

"Do you want to keep lying here?"

Another nod.

"Alright, we can stay here."

You continued to lay on the floor for a bit. Sun was the quietest he had ever been, but you didn't mind. The silence was welcome. Eventually, though, he spoke.

"Are you feeling better, Sunshine?" he asked.

"Yeah, a-a bit," you said.

"That's good," he said, smiling.

"I'm really sorry for all that," you mumbled.

"Don't be! You weren't feeling well. As the daycare attendant, it's my job to make sure everyone is happy and healthy," he said, sitting up. You fell into his lap, adjusting yourself to where you weren't crumpled up in some weird position.

"Are you guys doing okay? Moon wasn't acting up last night or anything?" you asked.

"Nope! We're both doing well. It was a little lonely last night, but now that you're here it's all better!" he said.

You smiled and nodded. "I'm not gonna be able to stay for too long, but I'm glad I at least get to see you," you said.

Sun nodded, his smile faltering slightly but still persisting. He gently cupped your cheek, leaning down and giving you a small kiss. You let out a small laugh.

"Why are you kissing me? My face is probably covered in tears and snot," you said.

"Because kisses make everything better!" he exclaimed, pulling you close and kissing all over your face.

You laughed, trying to push the attendant away and wipe your face off with your sleeve.

"Sun, stop! I'm gonna need to disinfect your face," you said.

Sun didn't immediately listen. It took a few more minutes before he finally stopped kissing you and let you get up to grab the disinfectant wipes from behind the desk. You sat him down, taking one of the wipes and gently wiping down his face.

"Hey, Sun? Why didn't you try and stop me from crying?" you asked.

"Well, sometimes the little kids get so overwhelmed with emotions and all they can do is cry and the best way to handle it is to just let them cry it out. You just reminded me of one of those moments, so I didn't want to try and stop you," he explained. A small look of worry flashed across his face. "Was I not supposed to do that?"

"No, it's not that! I'm honestly happy you did. Normally people just try to get me to stop as fast as possible," you grumbled the last part, glaring down at the floor. "I guess I'm just a little surprised, is all. Since a lot of kids start crying when they see another kid crying, I thought you'd be programmed to try and calm people down as fast as possible so you didn't wind up with a bunch of crying kids."

"It just depends on the situation," he said, smiling.

The door to the daycare opened and Oliver bolted in, closely followed by Peter.

"Mr. Sun!" Oliver exclaimed, launching himself at the attendant.

"Ollie!" Sun exclaimed, pulling him into a hug.

You stood up, dusting yourself off and walking over to Peter.

"I thought you'd be out of here by now," you said.

"Ollie got upset that he wasn't gonna get to see the attendant, so I thought I'd stop by," he explained. He looked you over, a look of worry taking over his features. "You doing okay? Your eyes are a little red."

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just got a bit emotional, I guess," you said.

"Can we turn off the lights? I wanna say hi to Mr. Moon!" Oliver yelled.

"Yeah, we can turn the lights off!" you called.

You walked over to the switch, flipping the lights off and watching Sun transform into Moon.